Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

leaking
RE: leaking
(05-20-2016, 05:35 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I'm not sure about the AutoSet but many Resmed models do not attempt to calculate the AHI during periods of high leak. Or as Philips puts it: Large Leak is the percentage of
time that the mask leak was so high that it is no longer possible for the device to identify respiratory events with statistical accuracy

Your leaks were in the large leak category for 78% of the time, meaning your AHI readings are essentially meaningless. Nobody knows what your real AHI was. So yes, you do need to do something about the leaks, as they are preventing your machine from treating your apnea properly.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. The Amara View is the only one I can tolerate so far. I've been trying different masks for more than 2 months.

I've tried the Simplus, both the small and medium. I've been sized a small, but when I wear it, it sits just under my bottom lip and I really can't open my mouth much without the mask popping over my bottom lip. The medium was more comfortable, but I had a lot of problems with leakage at the nose and was bothered by the weight of it on my face. I would try to tighten it to stop the leaks, but then it would put too much pressure on my cheekbones. It takes me 1-2 hours to fall asleep with the Simplus, but after I do, I sleep pretty good.

I've tried the F10, both a small and a medium. The small is way too small, even though the sizing guide says that's the right one. The small pinches/puts pressure on my nose. The medium is better, but I still feel pinching at my nose. The large would be too large.

I bought a Quattro today, a medium. It seemed the right size. I tried it out and adjusted it a lot. Either it leaks at the nose or it puts too much pressure on the bridge of my nose. Overall, it's just heavy compared to the Amara View. I'm going to give it a good try for the next several days, though.

I think my only oher option at this point might be to give nasal masks another try. Or to try the Simplus Medium again. I've tried nasal masks before and can't stand having them on for even a minute. It just feels like someone is blowing air up my nose at high pressure, which I guess it is. Even at 4.0 it seems very uncomfortable. I don't know how it's going to work with the mouth breathing, though. I do breathe through my nose quite a bit, but I feel like I need to take a breath with my mouth once in a while.

Thank you for all the support.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2016, 03:41 PM)palerider Wrote: Here's how to arrange the charts so that they give the most info in the least space... http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

and, yes, your leaks are quite bad, so bad that the machine would not be able to tell what kind of an apnea you have during those periods. at times they may be bad enough to compromise therapy pressure, though only briefly.

OK, thanks, I will read that link you posted.

Post Reply Post Reply
Update:

My P10 arrived yesterday. I had serious doubts as to whether I could keep my mouth closed, but it actually worked. The chin strap I ordered had not yet arrived so I took a tensor bandage, cut it to size, and sewed it up. I slept 3 hours straight with the mask on and barely any leaks. Apparently I kept my mouth closed. I took the mask off for the rest of the night only because I had an exam and wasn't sure if it would interfere with my sleep.

Here's hoping for another successful night.Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2016, 11:13 PM)monikah123 Wrote: Update:

My P10 arrived yesterday. I had serious doubts as to whether I could keep my mouth closed, but it actually worked. The chin strap I ordered had not yet arrived so I took a tensor bandage, cut it to size, and sewed it up. I slept 3 hours straight with the mask on and barely any leaks. Apparently I kept my mouth closed. I took the mask off for the rest of the night only because I had an exam and wasn't sure if it would interfere with my sleep.

Congrats, I hope that works out for you, getting the right mask is one of the hardest parts of therapy. I love the P10, but can't keep my mouth closed - yet!
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2016, 02:34 AM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(05-25-2016, 11:13 PM)monikah123 Wrote: Update:

Congrats, I hope that works out for you, getting the right mask is one of the hardest parts of therapy. I love the P10, but can't keep my mouth closed - yet!

Thanks! I hope you will make it too someday. It feels like hardly anything to wear it. BTW, I did try your advice on the F10 and it worked. Nice to have a backup for cold and flu season. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
"Fourth if the leaking noise bothers your partner so they occasionally reach over and smack you while you are trying to sleep - that is a problem. Since you didn't mention it, I assume that is not a problem Smile"

This is my problem... LOL
------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
Slept awesome last night for the first time in a very long time. P10 miracle. I guess I don't need to post to this thread anymore. Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 345 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 566 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 521 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F30i is leaking and I don't know what to do NoddingHacker 7 2,323 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  Good AHI and good oxygen levels - CPAP Leaking yp390 1 499 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.