Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

leaks,leaks, and more leaks
leaks,leaks, and more leaks
P10 pillows (size large), chin strap and cervical collar. my AHI are always good regardless of the leak rate ... but my deep sleep is non existent with large leaks...  I was getting an acceptable leak rate in the past, but in the last two weeks, I've been getting bigger and bigger leaks.. many times OSCAR marks the excessively large leaks on the graphs..

I've replaced everything from the water tank to the mask, so I'm pretty sure the machine is not the problem.

no question I'm a mouth breather, hence the chin strap and cervical collar.  On last night's run, I also added the somnifix mouth tape.

looking at  yesterday's OSCAR, does it look mouth breathing is the source of the high leak rate?

Over the past two weeks, I wake up to the feeling that an air bubble is coming into my mouth and my cheeks puff out .. I swallow and it goes away .. but maybe I'm doing that throughout the night and I don't know I'm doing it .. wondering why this suddenly would become an issue.. the only change is we have gone from cold weather ( heat on), to humid and warm ..

any thoughts??  many thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leaks,leaks, and more leaks
when I started with nasal mask in february, somnifix strips  were sufficient with just short pieces of tape at each end  (3m blue tape for gentle removal  , for children,  the elderly, etc).   my therapy improved significantly.   then recently I have to add two long strips over the somnifix strips.     I hope the advice you receive will be helpful to me, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to try the medium or small pillows, I experienced leakage with the P-10 large pillows... Now, I am using the medium size with no leaks. Who knows, it might work for you.

Any idea why you breathe through your mouth? I found that nasal/sinus congestion made it difficult to breathe through my nose. To correct that problem, I got a sinus cleaning device that made all the difference in my nose breathing...
https://www.amazon.com/SinuPulse-Elite-A...WNrPXRydWU=

I have trained myself to keep my mouth shut and only breathe through my nose - no chinstrap or tape...
Post Reply Post Reply
Two comments:
1. Leaks are what wakes me up the most or won’t let me get back to sleep. The collar must fit properly and size matters. One size does not fit all. Corflex (with 1 “e”) website has collars in many sizes. The height of the collar must be high enough to keep your mouth shut. I bought 2 collars, one the size as measured per their instructions and one the next size higher. The one measured correctly was perfect. Cured my leak problem. 

2. I use the Resmed pillow system and I have proven (at least to me) that the venting from mask to mask is not consistent. This was evident when I was registering leaks when I was awake and could observe no leaks.  This leak difference could be as much as 3 to 4 l/min. This leak did not disturb my sleep.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2022, 07:33 PM)CurtA Wrote: I have trained myself to keep my mouth shut and only breathe through my nose - no chinstrap or tape...

How does one train to eliminate mouth breathing?
I've worn chin straps/cervical collars since I started.. even used mouth tapes .. I've never been able to eliminate mouth breathing..

thanks
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
which collar did you get ? there are many on their web page..
I'll give it a try ... makes sense.
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2022, 07:32 AM)cberistain Wrote: How does one train to eliminate mouth breathing?
I've worn chin straps/cervical collars since I started.. even used mouth tapes .. I've never been able to eliminate mouth breathing..

This takes time and practice.  Many don't have the patience, but if you can master this, it is well worth the effort.  

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  (NOT PUSHING ON TEETH).
Gently suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if your mouth/jaw drops open while sleeping, no air will escape.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2022, 08:09 AM)OpalRose Wrote: This takes time and practice.  Many don't have the patience, but if you can master this, it is well worth the effort.  

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  (NOT PUSHING ON TEETH).
Gently suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if your mouth/jaw drops open while sleeping, no air will escape.

I've been using that technique since day 1 ... guess my brain does not want to cooperate  :-(
Post Reply Post Reply
For many years, the P10 and 3M strong-hold mouth tape were my go-to sleep aid. I, too, am now experiencing an increase in leaks. I added Sinex nasal rinse and Flonase, which helped for a while, but wonder if the P10 nasal pillows are slightly different, from perhaps a new manufacturer, or poor quality control. I asked the DME if it was possible to have a "bad batch," and in a roundabout way, they admitted it could happen. Also, I do not like the new headgear with the buckle so use one of the old plain straps. The first night I used the new headgear, I had 48 leaks.  Dont-know I believe something has changed with the P10 and it's increased my leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2022, 07:35 AM)cberistain Wrote: which collar did you get ? there are many on their web page..
I'll give it a try ... makes sense.
thanks

The ultra cervical collar. 
18-20 inch neck and 3 1/2 height. The 4 1/2 was a bit too tall.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel WORSE after getting Leaks under control - hopeless HarleyGirl63 3 117 Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 468 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 390 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 157 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 579 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 947 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 395 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.