Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

leaky mask and bloating (Moved to Main Forum)
leaky mask and bloating (Moved to Main Forum)
Can a leaking mask cause the pressure on an auto CPAP to increase dramatically? I've had trouble with bloating. Last night I woke up with a severely leaking mask and really high pressure. I adjusted the mask and tried to breathe lightly, but the pressure didn't decrease.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leaky mask and bloating
I'm moving this thread to Apnea Board Main Forum so it will get more attention.

I don't know if leaks cause the pressure to go up. Seems it would be stupid if they did. I don't use an APAP so maybe someone with experience can tell you.

Is this your first mask? Why did they start you out on a full face mask? They are more prone to leaking than nasal masks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leaky mask and bloating (Moved to Main Forum)
Hi Rev. Zzz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Maybe you could try a different type of mask, as full-face masks, (FFMs<) are very proned to leaks.
Hang in there for other suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2013, 02:47 PM)Rev. Zzz Wrote: Can a leaking mask cause the pressure on an auto CPAP to increase dramatically? I've had trouble with bloating. Last night I woke up with a severely leaking mask and really high pressure. I adjusted the mask and tried to breathe lightly, but the pressure didn't decrease.
Pressure does not increase dramatic but if large leak detected, data is not accurate
whats leak, 90% pressure, AHI reported on your machine

Bloating, swallowing air called "aerophagia"
Flex setting (1, 2, 3) provide relief as pressure lowered on exhale ... 3 provide most relief
PR Flex family - http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/h...efault.wpd

This excerpt from this thread by SS - http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...h-Bloating
This is called "aerophagia" - Sometimes simply making sure that you sleep with your head aligned with your body can help with this. If you want to elevate your head in bed you should do that with a wedge pillow or with bricks under the headboard, so that your head is not tilted in relation to your body. If you sleep with several pillows it may cause your head to tilt forward and block your airway, forcing air into your stomach. You don't want your head to tilt forward at all.

If you are mouth breathing, even with a nasal pillows system, reducing the pressure of the CPAP won't help swallowing air at all, and will decrease the effectiveness of your treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2013, 05:20 PM)zonk Wrote: [quote='Rev. Zzz' pid='30560' dateline='1362167240']
Can a leaking mask cause the pressure on an auto CPAP to increase dramatically? I've had trouble with bloating. Last night I woke up with a severely leaking mask and really high pressure. I adjusted the mask and tried to breathe lightly, but the pressure didn't decrease.
Pressure does not increase dramatic but if large leak detected, data is not accurate
whats leak
So the leak says 2% overall. When I go to sleep I don't have a leak. When I roll onto my back in the night then the leaks begin. I adjust the mask tighter, although that mask says it's suppose to "rest on a pillow of air" in the mask and kind of float on your face. Last night when I awoke and the pressure was clearly high - it was blowing out all around the mask.

, 90% pressure
is 7.8
, AHI
is 13.9 overall

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2013, 04:20 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I don't know if leaks cause the pressure to go up. Seems it would be stupid if they did. I don't use an APAP so maybe someone with experience can tell you.

Is this your first mask? Why did they start you out on a full face mask? They are more prone to leaking than nasal masks.

So I started with a nasal pillow and a maroon chin strap. The chin strap, though adjustable - was too large. The nasal pillow kept moving and I was breathing some through my mouth. I thought I needed a full face mask on account of the mouth breathing. But who knows - perhaps I should have just tried another chin strap. At times, I felt like i wasn't getting enough air.

I wish there was an affordable way to try various mask, chin straps at home to see what works best as I didn't feel like I could get a natural, relaxed night's sleep in the sleep clinic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2013, 06:01 PM)Rev. Zzz Wrote: I wish there was an affordable way to try various mask, chin straps at home to see what works best as I didn't feel like I could get a natural, relaxed night's sleep in the sleep clinic.

Insurance companies and equipment providers have policies in place that allow new users to switch masks frequently for free or for little cost.

Contact your insurance company and let them know what's going on. Check with other equipment providers in your insurance company's list of providers. After that call your equipment provider and tell them what you've learned. They usually become much more customer friendly when they find out that you are an educated consumer who is willing to take your business elsewhere if necessary.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really like the Quattro FX, but it is fairly sensitive to pressure changes. I'm not very familiar with non-ResMed machines, does your machine have any kind of mask-fit feature or some kind of way you can easily get the machine to deliver your 90% pressure in order to fit the mask properly at that pressure?

My experience with the Quattro FX is that it needs to be fitted and adjusted at or near the high end of the pressure your machine will be delivering through the night.

I'm not sure but, I'm thinking that the reason it starts leaking when you roll onto your back is that sleeping on your back might be increasing the incidence or severity of airway obstruction, so your machine raises the therapy pressure in order to overcome the obstruction and this increased pressure is what is causing the mask to start leaking.

Post Reply Post Reply
your machine report total leak (vents leaks plus excess leak)
unlike ResMed Respironcis don,t define large leak
2% spent in large leak territory might not be too significant as works out about 10 seconds in 8 hours sleep period
90% pressure means you were at or below that number for 90% of the time
7.8 is not too high, use mask fit check. you would get the hang of it just need some patience and bit more practice
make sure mask is the right size for you and fitting correctly
Quattro FX sit lower on the nose than other masks, ResMed call it swing and seal method
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/quattr...s&sec=true

If you got some time during the day wear the mask with pressure on while reading or even take a nap so you get used to the pressure and the whole thing. lastly we like to see AHI below 5 but for now its not too important till you get some decent sleep and keeping mask on all night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 263 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 338 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 222 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 721 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,625 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,777 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 791 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.