Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

leg cramps
leg cramps
I've been using APAP for the last month and it seems to be going well. My AHI is now stabilising around 5 or less from an untreated score of 72+.

however, I have had a couple of instances of waking up and cramping my calf muscles.

I was wondering, could low SpO2 cause muscle cramps? My flow data indicates I still have a the odd longish pauses in my breathing (30sec or so).

Could waking up with cramps be an indication I'd just had a desaturation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leg cramps
Or, electolyte imbalance? Mg, K, Na, Ca
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah, possible.

I have woken with leg cramps in the past, always calf muscle.

it's possible it's nothing to do with SA and just a coincidence that I/ve had 2 or 3 incidents in the past month and very few (that I can remember anyway) in the few years before.

I just thought i'd ask in case it was a known thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a connection between leg cramps and OSA. I very seldom get cramps after starting on CPAP:
http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=29516

With an AHI of 5 or less, I'd look elsewhere first as JM suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is a magnesium deficit, using Epson salts in a bath may help, or taking oral magnesium (antacid version is magnesium oxide, such as Phillips; there are other forms)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
An iron deficiency can also result in leg cramps. This is more a problem for females.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get it if I have had a very salty meal for dinner. I correct it by drinking some pure coconut water. It balances the excess sodium of the meal with excess potassium of coconut water.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Certain high blood pressure medications lower your potassium therefore causing calf cramps. At least that is what was doing it for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
And on top of the potassium and magnesium bits (I take both), there is enough "old wives tale" data that my Primary doctor even suggested this to me: drinking tonic water, which has quinine in it. Some people say that's hogwash, but it certainly seems to be helping me. I drink 16 ounces a day of diet tonic water (with 2 tablespoons of lemon and a pack of sweetener, just cuz I discovered lemon flavored tonic water in the UK!) and have had no full occurrences of leg cramping since I started, about two years ago. I've had a few "oooo, it feels like it's about to cramp" but I stretch and it never quite does cramp.
My cramps were not all during sleep, which is why I can recognize some of them coming.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2016, 05:42 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: And on top of the potassium and magnesium bits (I take both), there is enough "old wives tale" data that my Primary doctor even suggested this to me: drinking tonic water, which has quinine in it. Some people say that's hogwash, but it certainly seems to be helping me. I drink 16 ounces a day of diet tonic water (with 2 tablespoons of lemon and a pack of sweetener, just cuz I discovered lemon flavored tonic water in the UK!) and have had no full occurrences of leg cramping since I started, about two years ago. I've had a few "oooo, it feels like it's about to cramp" but I stretch and it never quite does cramp.
My cramps were not all during sleep, which is why I can recognize some of them coming.

Not an old wives tale at all. I used quinine sulphate tablets when I was playing football to help with cramps. It worked.

I started to have leg cramps recently and I now use a multi magnesium tablet and the cramps have gone. There are different magnesium combinations. Magnesium chelate is the best for cramps.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOCTURNAL LEG CRAMPS & OSA: A COUPLE OF ARTICLES Plmnb 4 1,068 12-21-2019, 11:25 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Cramps [muscle] Waz1 4 1,358 01-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Woke up with Cramps-Aerophagia trailrider 7 4,333 04-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Last Post: truetopath
  leg cramps navy veteran 1968 8 3,734 02-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.