Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

length of apneas
RE: length of apneas
The mean length just ends up averaging everything away...

My experience is that a single 50-60-second apnea, that drives my Sp02 down below 80, will leave me with vertigo when I wake up, which turns into a debilitating headache as the day goes on.

And that's even though my strong recovery breathing gets me back to 99% SpO2 in 5 seconds...

[Image: SuperLong.png?raw=1]
The phrase that comes to mind is "Yes, yes, Mrs. Lincoln, but how did you like the play?"

I don't know how to quantify this, but it's really quite ugly!
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting that the machine took nearly a minute of OA before it starting raising the pressure.
Would that "Response" setting affect the pressure strategy in those situations ?
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed's don't increase pressure during an obstructive event, to blow the airway open. The wait until the event is over then increase pressure.

Occasionally, when one sees the pressure increasing during during an obstructive event, it's because the pressure was being increased because of a previous event or FLs.

The response setting doesn't increase the timeframe of pressure increases, it increase the amount of pressure/
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting.
Would there be the oscillating pressure test looking for CA/OA signs (Im not sure if thats only on certain brands/models) ?
Could that , or a variation of it, be used to "pop" an OA ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The point is that the machine really can't fix this.

I have not gone as far as to set up a video camera, but what I THINK is happening is that this is a form of positional apnea. Basically while I'm asleep I manage to get myself into some stupid position that interferes with my breathing. The machine can't do anything about it but record it, and when I shift out of the position I breathe just fine.

Sometimes it will be a sh*storm of clustered events that goes on and on, with a mixture of many lengths. For the last 5 months or so I've been having these weird spells where I have movement and 1-4 long apneas, followed by movement and it's over. It's all pretty isolated, and I'm trying to figure out if this is really apnea or something totally different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2022, 07:41 PM)cathyf Wrote: Basically while I'm asleep I manage to get myself into some stupid position that interferes with my breathing.

I would agree with this. 

Looking at your flow rate immediately prior to your 53 second OA, there is volatility. That simply doesn't happen with typical OAs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 604 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 265 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,287 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 456 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.