Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

light on Dream Station
RE: light on Dream Station
The light stays on for 60 seconds or less, though it is bright, so I'm glad my unit sits on the floor beside the bed.
If I had to have it up higher I would ensure the display was either shaded or facing away from me.

I can pretty much see in the dark, so the light going out before I get back to the bedroom from a wee walk is not a problem.

My wife has lousy night vision, so in motel/hotel rooms I leave the bathroom light on with the door slightly ajar, just enough to give her a bit of light to find her way around the strange room.. I also carry a torch in my "travel kit" to keep beside the bed in case the room has no bed lamps.
Post Reply Post Reply
The unit, DreamStation is advertised as having the feature to sense the light in a room and dim the LCD screen accordingly. I've had this unit for a few months. Mine has never functioned, i.e. the dimming feature of the LCD screen. This is the only issue I've had with this unit. I covered the screen as I find the light too extreme at night if I need to disconnect for whatever reason. When I realized that this was a malfunctioning feature I called my DME. This unit cost a lot of money. My insurance is expensive. This unit should work as promised in every way and this a feature I want to function perfectly. Before I take complete ownership of this unit, I will figure this out. My DME didn't know about this feature. I'll report back as I have read that others have the same concern.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not your unit, none of them have this working, AFAIK. It it likely a software defect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Chill. I did read an earlier reply suggesting that the lack of dimming is a software issue. I also read someone suggesting that this problem effects ALL DreamStations. I'm not an expert on PR's products or how they respond to requests to fix them. But if you're talking about thousands of machines with this issue, why ignore it? That's awful service. My guess is this issue has yet to generate enough complaints for PR to care. Plus the machines works well otherwise. But my opinion is, the company should still provide a fix. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a medical device. I doubt it is like pushing out a new version of a smart phone app. There is probably a costly certification process they need to go through. I think they can be updated remotely, but I might be wrong. If I were them, I'd wait until a number of fixes were ready and then make one release.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2016, 07:21 PM)chill Wrote: It is not your unit, none of them have this working, AFAIK. It it likely a software defect.
The backlight on my Dreamstation definitely changes with the ambient light. When I turn on the room light it gets a lot brighter. Hold a finger over the sensor and it gets darker. I think the problem is that even in the dimmed mode people think its too bright.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm confused because DS is completely black right now. It totally turns off, except for the white LED on the top?
Post Reply Post Reply
We are talking about the sixty seconds just after you turn it on or off. Or touch the front button.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2016, 07:02 PM)Jimsp1 Wrote: The backlight on my Dreamstation definitely changes with the ambient light. When I turn on the room light it gets a lot brighter. Hold a finger over the sensor and it gets darker. I think the problem is that even in the dimmed mode people think its too bright.

I just checked again. Mine does not do this. Room light on or off, finger over the sensor or not, the backlight brightness remains unchanged.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the light machine goes to complete dark after a minute or two of running.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,494 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,070 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 949 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
Exclaimation [Diagnosis] 2 Yrs CPAP & I Still Don't Dream - Eliminated Obstructive But Central Apneas Present droo 5 532 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: droo
  RECOMMENDATION REQUESTED - LIGHT THERAPY srlevine1 0 349 07-23-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question Resmed AirTouch F20 on Dream Station 2: X factor? SleeperAwake21 1 437 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: SleeperAwake21
  [Equipment] Screen Light - how to turn off Hopingforachange 4 2,095 04-04-2023, 01:50 AM
Last Post: zellem

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.