Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

lingo?
lingo?
I am new to this so I know nothing. Where do I learn the basics about sleep apnea lingo such ahi, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: lingo?
There is the Wiki - see above; plus just hang around the forum; and you'll pick it up.

AHI is the Apnea-Hypoapnea Index -- an average number = events/hours.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2014, 11:24 AM)wrangler Wrote: I am new to this so I know nothing. Where do I learn the basics about sleep apnea lingo such ahi, etc.

Hi wrangler. Welcome to the forum. Language is a little bit daunting at first. In the Wiki you will find a list of words and their definitions. Definitions and Glossary

You can also find a list of acronyms in the Wiki. Acronyms

Click on the above links to go directly to the Wiki article.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Payton. The definition and glossary are exactly what I was hoping to find
Post Reply Post Reply
And just ask if you don't find something -- we all went through the same problem of trying to not only understand the technology but also to learn the vocabulary.

I thought that even worse than the lingo itself was the nomenclature for the various manufacturers' machines. The machines and models names by BOTH Resmed and Respironics seem to almost have been chosen to CAUSE confusion.

(It is actually possible that this is true since it prevents the beginners from identifying a crappy machine with no data versus a fully data capable APAP.)

Apap = Automatic Cpap = Continuous (which is Constant)

A "Brick" is a machine with no data capability.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Must-see video for new Sleep Apnea patients
Sleep disordered breathing (SDB)
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._%28SDB%29

Tips for new CPAP users http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wrangler,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.