Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

lips opening from s9 when not from respironics m
RE: lips opening from s9 when not from respironics m

Obstructive sleep apnea is usually highly positional. Usually, flat on our back is the worst position, making the machine raise the pressure higher than it would otherwise need to use.

Perhaps your sleep position has changed, causing higher pressure to be needed?

Oh Thank you, i sleep on each side and sometimes on my back. it does it in all positions, so.....i tried sleeping with my old respironics M cpap machine last night and no lip flub a dub whatsoever. the 90% was 8.6.....AHI of 2 which is high for me on that machine, and system leak was at 34.6. the machine got noisy in the middle of the night however, so i wonder if member's comment about that machine deteriorating and maybe not putting out much pressure, could be correct. it does not negate the fact that when i used my friend's S9 for that one night, i had no problems with lips opening. that's why i purchased one! yikes.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/images/...-about.gif

Post Reply Post Reply
If the respironics M machine and your friends S9 could reach down your throat and close your mouth off from the rest of your airway then I might think that something was going on with the machines. Assuming that you have tried the different machines with the same mask. That leaves the correction of the problem up to you.

Yes your lips will be blown open by your pressure if you can not seal your mouth off from the rest of your airway with your tongue. Your tongue needs to be up against the roof of your mouth and yes it is possible to train yourself to maintain that seal as you sleep. A number of people on this forum have managed it. If one can not train oneself to do this like I could not, then the right chin strap may help as it did me. It does take the "right" chin strap. I tried a number of them without getting any help from them. I would get occasional lip flutter like I think you are describing.

Good luck with your efforts.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='PaytonA' pid='131916' dateline='1442888411']
If the respironics M machine and your friends S9 could reach down your throat and close your mouth off from the rest of your airway then I might think that something was going on with the machines. Assuming that you have tried the different machines with the same mask. That leaves the correction of the problem up to you.

Yes your lips will be blown open by your pressure if you can not seal your mouth off from the rest of your airway with your tongue. Your tongue needs to be up against the roof of your mouth and yes it is possible to train yourself to maintain that seal as you sleep. A number of people on this forum have managed it. If one can not train oneself to do this like I could not, then the right chin strap may help as it did me. It does take the "right" chin strap. I tried a number of them without getting any help from them. I would get occasional lip flutter like I think you are describing.

Good luck with your efforts.

thank you Payton....really it is such a mystery! i didn't do anything different with those machines....even tried the m again last night with great results(until it got loud) so bizarre....i am thinking about trying my friend's s9 again too, and if it works, maybe he will trade me machines! but there has to be some reasonable explanation doesn't there??http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/dielaughing.gif
( i wish i knew how to put the little emoticons here, when i try and drag them, it turns into a link to a website)
sweet dreams,
Post Reply Post Reply
dielaughing is colons surrounding dielaughing. Dielaughing
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2015, 11:10 PM)DariaVader Wrote: dielaughing is colons surrounding dielaughing. Dielaughing

like this? it looks like the words to me, but does it come on the posting as the little guy?
Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
If you type in the quick reply box, hit the Preview Post button to bring up the full interface (scroll the page down a bit) and then you see on the left a box of 'smilies'. To add one to your message, click on the smiley and it will insert the smiley code where your cursor is in your message. Coffee

After that, you can scroll down a little more and hit Preview Post once more to see what it will look like. If you are happy with it, scroll down again and click Post Reply. Don't forget to do that or you lose your message. I did that a few times... Rolleyes
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahhh thanks, i had tried that, but when i dragged it over,it changed to a link instead of the smilie itself. Dont-know
but then another member told me to put colons around just the pertinent words....and then seems to work, lets see Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,042 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,406 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.