Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

listening to youself breath while sleeping
listening to youself breath while sleeping
Hi everyone.. I have been recording the sound of my sleeping with an App called Sleep Talk and then matching it with the recording from my CPAP machine.

So when I see a OA or CA etc. registered in Sleepy Head I go and find the same time on the App and listen to what is going on... its interesting, because you can hear your breathing pattern change and then the CPAP machine picks up and everything levels out. Its a bit of a concern to hear yourself stop breathing but its nice to know that the machine is really doing what it is meant to.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing the same..?

Stay well

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: listening to youself breath while sleeping
Good job tdriver checking out your breathing.

For me personally, I'm content just knowing I still do that on a regular basis.

But it's good for you to know as much as you can about your breathing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Retired Guy... I agree breathing is excellent.. its like waking up in the morning and feeling your heart beating... that's always a good start for the day
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried it once but between the dogs barking, the fish tank filter noise, and the cat purring, it didn't work out.

Kinda cool thing you're doing, though! And yes, I bet it would be freaky as heck to listen to yourself stop breathing!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Video works even better, but I haven't done that in years.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still have the video of my first sleep study - scarier than many horror movies I have seen - big, fat, pale white guy thrashing around like the invisible man is trying to choke him to death - not fun to watch at all - reminds me ..well, nevermind.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I've done the same pre-current-CPAP myself. It was disconcerting, though not as dramatic as it might have been on video. It was motivating too.

It wasn't long before I was re-treating my apnea seriously last year. I guess I'm here to stay now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I still have the video of my first sleep study - scarier than many horror movies I have seen - big, fat, pale white guy thrashing around like the invisible man is trying to choke him to death - not fun to watch at all - reminds me ..well, never mind.

I never thought to ask for the video.
I don't care what format it would come in as it is easy to convert any digital video to the one you can watch on your TV, etc.....which on a 50" screen Id rather do than my macbook pro screen as its a laptop ;-)

TDRIVER:

I don't have the auto-set so I can't do that but are you using a separate app to record yourself and if so, which one, and is it for iPhone or android?

I wonder if I would be able to tell when I stopped breathing just from an app alone?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using sleep as android but only to record sound and not under the pillow to detect movement. I use it on my Nexus 7 which I also use as a night clock with dulled screen. With the screen dulled there is no other light or distractions in my bedroom which helps my sleep hygiene.
With the recording level turned up it only picks up noise over a certain level and this succeeds in picking up all I need, it also enables me to say "awake" whenever I am disturbed without having to note times or adding to my disturbance. The time of recorded events is shown on the app recording time detail and I can review a whole nights recording in just a few minutes with this system. It has also shown that for some reason I wake up regularly at around 3 am and 5 am with no apparent events showing in data from my CPAP machine but it does correlate sounds (heavy breathing) to my apnoeas. Together with my pulse oxometer which I use six or seven times a month this gives me a really good insight into how I sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using an app called SleepTalker on my iphone... it was initially designed to catch what you say in your sleep, which in itself can be a bit of a concern, but it does catch the sound of my breathing and other assorted sounds, some of which you would rather not hear...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 459 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.