Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

looking for affordable apap machine (newbie)
looking for affordable apap machine (newbie)
hello im 21 years old and have felt sick for a couple years. it all started with my sleep and im not sure why i didnt just think about looking there first. anyway its been like 3 years with horrible sleep. ive never been diagnosed or told i have sleeping problems but i used to kick real bad as a kid and now i cant sleep most of the time, and when i can no matter how much i always feel tired and dead. very rarely ill wake up out of breath. most up the time i do wake up like shaking almost like im in shock or just pulsing. i cant remember anything and have felt absolutely horrible for years. i cant afford to see a doctor or have a study done. i was browsing on reddit and someone suggested i get an affordable apap machine and use some forums as a guide on how to read it and work it. 

i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where i might be able to get an affordable apap used or new machine, and directions on how to use it/ read it. im totally new to this and would just like to get to sleeping better and feeling better. any newbie advice/tips/ relatable stories are welcomed.
 have a good one , keep it easy, and sleep well everybody.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: looking for affordable apap machine (newbie)
Curiousbetsy, I think you have described some problems like restless leg syndrome and and some pretty severe symptoms that might be better to address with your doctor, than to assume apnea and try to self-treat. How is your insurance situation? That often decides whether to seek professional assistance. There are some ideas for self diagnosis that we can suggest, but let's start with the conventional approach. At 21 you are pretty young for CPAP and may still be covered on your parent's coverage.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
well im not quite sure how much insurance would cover. but i really dont have any money at all. i dont kick anymore. i just usually sleep like 4 hours a night and lightly
Post Reply Post Reply
A good auto CPAP can be obtained at the lowest cost on marketplaces like Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Marketplace, etc. A good way to search Craigslist over a wider area is to use the SearchTempest search engine. The specific machines to look for are:
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed S9 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto CPAP
Philips Respironics System One auto CPAP
The CPAP-Talk forum often has machines being sold by members. Apnea Board does not allow forum accounts to be used for sales or transfers to protect our educational status.

There are others. For a new machine, Supplier #33 has the lowest prices and offers packages including a mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Airsense 10 auto
Undiagnosed- buying tommorow

when i buy the machine i suppose ill reset it then set the date and time. Apparently it comes with mask hose cord and a card in it.

i know nothing about how this machine or sleep apnea works, and so i was wondering where i can read up on pressures, what pressure i should start with, and how to get and interpret my data with this machine.

Am i ast risk of causing more health problems by using the wrong pressure, or is it more risky to not use the machine entirely. Are there helpful videos i can watch about how to get myself set up right and how to manage/monitor the pressure setting i need?

do i just download oscar for windows, and then put the sd card in my pc? do i need to register a used machine with the program?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Airsense 10 auto
The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset will automatically adjust pressure to prevent and resolve obstructive sleep apnea, hypopnea and flow limitations that cause sleep disruption. The default factory settings in Autoset mode are a minimum pressure of 4.0 and maximum pressure of 20.0 cm H2O. Once you use the machine, we can observe the results in OSCAR and optimize the settings, so you start closer to an effective therapeutic pressure. The Autoset also has exhale pressure relief, so pressure is lower during exhale (EPR). This setting can be set to Off, Ramp Only, or Full-Time, at 1, 2 or 3. You should request the clinical manual at the CPAP Setup Manuals Link at the top of the page so you know how to access settings, and what they mean. https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

I recommend new users start with the following settings:
Minimum pressure 7.0
Maximum Pressure 20.0
EPR Full Time at 2.

These settings provide inhale pressure of 7 and exhale of 5, which should be a comfortable start and the machine will automatically respond to your needs.

OSCAR will work without any registration. You need to set up a profile, but the only thing you must enter is a user-name. Feel free to use your forum name or any alias you are comfortable with including your real name. After using the machine, you can insert the SD card and the OSCAR program should take care of everything else. and produce the charts. Please feel free to read the OSCAR Help File to get started. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...OSCAR_Help
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Undiagnosed?

How do you know you have sleep apnea?

Sincerely,
fos1
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleep is worth the effort
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
what should i do?
hey everyone i have been struggling for a long time and i just wanted to make a post on here to see what everyone else thinks i should do

im 22 years old, dont have much money, and struggle some mentally.
im trying to rule out sleep apnea because i wake up 3-7 times during the night just randomly to pee, i have a hard time falling asleep and cant sleep during the day, andalot of times i just feel miserable in the mornings. i feel very awake but not rested. 

now im not sure if this sounds like sleep apnea or not because it almost seems as though i cant really fall deeply asleep anymore. many times the littlest thing will wake me up and i cant fall back asleep. many times i might only sleep 6 hours.

alot of times i just feel im dragging myself through life. i struggle with some mental/mood/thought issues too. i want to see a psychiatrist but they are booked out and i wish to rule out sleep apnea to see how much that helps me.

i have headaches very often and sometimes when i wake up especially if i eat before bed

im waiting for a referral from a sleep clinic but the thing is i dont know if i can afford a sleep study and machine Sad

i was wondering if it might be smart to buy a used apap machine and use that to determine if i actually have sleep apnea, and use that to help untill later down the road.

ive tested blood sugar, thyroid and testosterone and they seem to be relatively normal.

ive had blood tests in the past.

what do you guys reccomend? does this sound like a sleep study would be worth it?

thanks in advance for any replies/advice
Post Reply Post Reply
You have been posting the same question since June 19, 2019, when you were 21. I have merged all your posts into your original thread since they relate to the same subject.

Good luck in your quest!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 369 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.