Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

looks like i have cheyne stokes..
looks like i have cheyne stokes..
new to OSCAR. looks like I have CSR.... :Sad   

freaking out sorta. looks like i get this 2 - 3 times a month. so its not consistent.  

not sure if anyone has CSR but I'm wondering what this all means, and what I can do.

thanks for any experiences or suggestions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: looks like i have cheyne stokes..
That was a poor choice for a descriptor name by Resmed.   You need more than breathing patterns to diagnose CSR.  It is really periodic breathing.  Several members here experience this problem.   Don't fret over it.   It seems to be localized and not spread out throughout your sleep session.  Your breathing builds up to a hyperventilation condition and washes the CO2 out of your system, causing the breathe response to cease.  Once your CO2 builds back up, you start breathing again but now are trying to make up for the O2 that got depleted.   This is just a guess, but you could have been having a dream that was causing you anxiety.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson. Ya I scanned thru previous posts about CSR and noticed my flow rate pattern matched exactly this pattern as posted in a previous post: i.imgur.com/Po5bH2o.jpg 

I need to research periodic breathing, (again i'm new to OSCAR and deep diving into my stats) and how to prevent this or change things...

thanks again for the words Crimson.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a CSR pattern. If you have health problems that you are aware of, let us know. Otherwise, call your doctor and discuss this. Overall, the extent of this is very short, and is may be an anomaly just to keep an eye on. If it becomes more persistent. a different therapy may be appropriate. Let's assume you are in otherwise good health, and just need time to adapt to CPAP. Reduce EPR to 1 and it's likely this won't repeat. I have more to say, but need to take a break. Any questions?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replying. health is so-so. overweight, high blood pressure on beta blockers.. but i can do daily activities, walk about 2 miles with major hills. 

i've seen this pattern about 3-4 times now in the past 3 months. so its not daily. and it tends to be 20mins or less. i've been on CPAP for 6 years so not new to CPAP..

how do i adjust the EPR? and what does that do?
Post Reply Post Reply
Keeping in mind, carbon dioxide drives, respiration, part of the problem with this breathing pattern is a repetitive cycle of hypocapnea and hypercapnea from an imbalance of CO2 in the blood. This becomes a feedback loop as it progresses resulting the the very even cyclic pattern, as hypoventilation leads to hyperventilation, then hypo and hyper, until the cycle breaks. The mechanism involves more complex chemical feedback, but that is the basics of respiratory drive. We can reduce that effect by not using "pressure support" (PS) which is the difference between inhale and exhale pressure, where higher differences tend to enhance the flushing of CO2. Right now, you are using EPR 3, which is the same as PS 3. Your median pressure is 9.3/6.3 (inhale/exhale or IPAP/EPAP). So you have pressure support. To change that setting, just enter the clinical setting menu, scroll down to comfort and find the EPR setting. It is currently 3, set it to 1. This little tutorial describes how to access the clinical menu to access that setting by pressing the home button and control knob at the same time. https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info

It's not time to push the panic button. This pattern was only 15 minutes on one night. It can be considered a problem when it becomes a trend and even more prevalent in your results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is exhale pressure relief, literally on exhale the pressure drops by 1, 2, or 3 cmH2O, same measure as that for therapy pressures. It should be found in the comfort settings, will have duration including full time, which is what I'd set, then set the value, try full-time 2.

If it's not under comfort then it's in clinical menu. In that case hold Home and Dial in at the same time for about 5 seconds and you're in clinical.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
last nights OSCAR....much much better. but like i said before the CSR comes randomly. but hoping the EPR setting helps in the long run. also used flonase before bed, def helped. i may continue that at night we'll see.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That's great! You absolutely responded to the reduced EPR and this shows your CSR episode was actually a result of the ventilation resulting in you being at and above your apneic threshold, and in a feedback loop. So, no health problems, you just don't tolerate pressure support or EPR well. As you note, looking a the longer term will confirm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks sleeprider!! 

and thank you for the tip on EPR, i never knew that existed! i also confirmed the change with my sleep dr. and they gave me the go ahead  Thanks'

many thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 246 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 820 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 292 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need advice - Clear Airway Apnea and Cheyne Stokes skiphudspeth 7 635 12-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  New to CPAP, just used OSCAR for the first time, should I be concerned?(Cheyne Stoke) breckenk 23 2,223 11-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Last Post: breckenk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.