Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

losing weight and pressures
RE: losing weight and pressures
Hi Walla Walla,
Good luck on your weight loss.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trish!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've lost 20lbs since my last sleep study and my pressure requirement hasn't dropped at all, but I wasn't overweight to begin with (175 -> 155 which is about what I weighed back in college when I was originally diagnosed with severe OSA - the root cause for me is purely anatomical). Dropping 50-100lbs could have a greater impact.

PaulaO2 is absolutely correct about the neck measurement. Athletes with large necks, think football players, have a surprisingly high rate of OSA even with low body fat percentages.

Best of luck to you on your weight loss. If I could offer some unsolicited advice it would be to focus on sustainable adjustments to your daily food/exercise habits so that over time it becomes part of your lifestyle and not just a diet - people follow diets for a while, often are successful, but then go back to doing everything they used to do and put the weight back on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't speak to just weight loss, but 20lb weight loss and giving up alcohol resulted in me going from 16 prescribed( never could handle it that high) to this
the other night.
I still need Cpap though, I have tried sleeping without it and I wake myself up with a choke/snore on and off.
I still have 20 more lbs to get to ideal weight. I will see then If I can do without it.
I followed Sleep riders advice to another member and bought a pulse ox. It should come in the mail today.
As soon as I try it with the cpap a couple of nights, I plan on trying it without cpap and seeing what readings I get.
In my sleep study I was dropping to low 70's.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 218 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 438 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 222 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 365 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,851 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 506 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 451 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.