Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

losing weight and pressures
losing weight and pressures
Well the wife told me it's time to go on a diet. A result of quitting smoking is I ate too much. So going to try Nutrisystem and see if Marie Osmond can drop 50 or 100 pounds off me. Rolleyes 

The question is how much does losing weight effect the pressures used on CPAP.  I'm guessing a drop of 1cm for every 20 pounds or so.

Of course I have no idea which is why I come to you with hat in hand asking for your experience and expert input.

Thanks 

Eat-popcorn No butter and salt.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: losing weight and pressures
Do yoh thinkwatching yoh sleepyhead charts you could tell by them ? I think that might give you the ansnwer you are looking for.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help there Gary.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
No problem . I see my problem is typing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2017, 07:50 PM)Gary1of2 Wrote: No problem . I see my problem is typing.

I'll put out a short term alternative.

I belong to a fitness club, though I'm not really a fitness club kind of person (it's my town's recreation facility). They have a program this month where you take a bet that you're going to lose weight in one month. They weigh you on the 1st of the month. The goal is 4% weight loss (they don't want people to adopt unhealthy habits or go on a crash diet). At the end of the month, they weigh you again.

If you miss your goal, you lose your $$$ wager. It goes in a pot.

If you make the goal, you get all your money back plus you share the pot with the other winners!

IMO this is a great way to start a weight loss program with an achievable goal. It takes motivation, food trimming, and exercise to meet the goal (a capital idea), but it's achievable nonetheless.

End of the month: you've made progress. You get some bucks.

I really recommend a program like this to get started. For anyone.

Last time I did this, I ended up an extra $40 in the black.

This time, I'm gaining weight! All that fussing over CPAP crises. I have only one week left to do a whole lot of trimming and/or put in ALOT of walking. My CPAP crises had better become minor instead of major at this point. A whole bunch of aerophagia might really help me with the need to be weightless.... Who'd have thunk?

Anyway, good luck with your mission! Like CPAP, like losing weight: give it time.  Thumbs-up-2 Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2017, 07:13 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: The question is how much does losing weight effect the pressures used on CPAP. 

Weight may have no effect, but there are lots of other reasons to lose weight.

Just check your data and see if you're spending more time at the lower end of your pressure range as you lose weight. If so then you can lower your pressure range as needed.

For example, your pressure range is now 20-25. If it stays at 20 all the time then you can lower it to something like 16-21 and see what happens. Repeat as necessary.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My brief history on weight loss: 2016 I entered the path for bariatric sleeve surgery. My max weight I'm aware of was 300#. To qualify for the insurance to pay for this surgery, one needed to have 6 months of an approved dietician directed weight loss program. And one had to be diagnosed with comorbid medical condition, of which my AHI of 70 + supplied. Edit: forgot my BMI had over 40 w/o comorbidity, but mine was 41 anyway.

OK, after successfully qualifying, and getting the surgery, I lost 60# roughly 6 months. Surgery date 9/19/16 I was down from 300# to 277#., so the 6 month mark I was about 215-220.

At that weight and time, March '17, I went in to enter the BiPAP therapy path. PSG revealed in 345.0 minutes of sleeping, I had 124 centrals, 24 OSA, 3 hypopneas, 0 RERA. I know AHI was over 30, as it's listed as severe, I just can't find AHI numbers listed.

OK rambling on, the answer from me is yes weight loss can cut AHI down, but IMO that alone won't ELIMINATE apnea unless your AHI is very low already. My guesstimate is my 100 pounds off nearly halved the AHI.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave! That gives me some hope. The reason I ask about the pressure is I'm close to maxing out my BIPAP. I figure losing weight is the easiest way to drop my pressure down at least a few pressure points.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. IMO it's doable, both weight loss and your goal to correlate weight loss and pressure reduction. Best wishes on success.

FWIW my weight loss means I must eat 3 meals per day, 1000 calories per day intake, no sugar added to anything, soda and other carbonated drinks expected to be off limits, limit caffeine  Oh-jeez and must take multi vitamin daily.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on where the weight is lost. Pay more attention to how slimmer your neck measurement gets.

Good luck on the weight loss. My bro just started Nutrisystem. His A1c 4 mos ago was 7.7 and yesterday it was 6.5. He's lost weight but the deal is the portion control. Of course, they learned all this by going to a dietician's classes several years ago but can't seem to apply it so instead they fork over the money for nutrisystem instead of doing it themselves. Whatever. If it gets him to stop eating so much pasta, anything will work.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 152 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,730 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 457 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.