Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

lot of water into nose during cpap
Question 
lot of water into nose during cpap
Last night, about an hour into cpap use, i kinda woke up but was still dazed from deep sleep. I remember knowing that something was wrong with my cpap/mask that needed adjusting. (my memory of this is very foggy from being half asleep at the time). My guess is that my mask was partway off? (sleepyhead does show high leak). Maybe i put it back on then? Suddenly, a bunch of water shot up my nose from the mask, and went into my sinuses! That woke me up!

After that, I blew my nose a few times to get the water out and then went back to sleep without the mask this time. Now, I've been trying to get that water out of my nose/sinuses this morning, and sneezing it out some too.

Has this happened to anyone else? (water spraying up nose from the cpap/mask?)

Or does anyone have any idea what happened?

I am still struggling to make cpap work in the first place and this new problem has me concerned.

I am trying to put up the sleepyhead graph with this too and hopefully it is successful. It does show a very high leak of 60. The water up nose was at the end, near 1am.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated. The info on this site has helped a lot before.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: lot of water into nose during cpap
groggykevin,
What you experienced is called "rainout". Your humidifier setting probably needs changed.
Can you let us know what setting it is on. Do you have it set for System One or Classic Mode, and what number is it set on?
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 04:32 PM)OpalRose Wrote: groggykevin,
What you experienced is called "rainout". Your humidifier setting probably needs changed.
Can you let us know what setting it is on. Do you have it set for System One or Classic Mode, and what number is it set on?
OpalRose

I've seen a few drops of water in the nasal pillows on rare occasion but i had no idea rainout could be enough water to do this. I felt/feel like i had done one of those "neti pot" treatments where you pour salt water up your nose. The humidifier is only set at 2. I think max setting for this humidifier is either 5 or 6. And I wont know until i get home if humidifier is on classic mode vs System One setting. I didn't know there was such a setting even, or what the difference is.

Thank you for your help Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 04:40 PM)groggykevin Wrote:
OpalRose

I've seen a few drops of water in the nasal pillows on rare occasion but i had no idea rainout could be enough water to do this. I felt/feel like i had done one of those "neti pot" treatments where you pour salt water up your nose. The humidifier is only set at 2. I think max setting for this humidifier is either 5 or 6. And I wont know until i get home if humidifier is on classic mode vs System One setting. I didn't know there was such a setting even, or what the difference is.

You will have to go into clinical mode to change setting.
When on System One setting, the machine has sensors that measure the humidity
in your room. I know when I used this setting, the water never dropped in the chamber. If on classic mode, you will get more humidity, sometimes too much which then causes what you experienced. You will probably have to try different settings to see what works best for you.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We need to know what the routing of the hose was. It sounds to me like the hose was kind of flat and collected a lot of condensation which never blocked the hose until he put the mask back on. Somehow this created a low spot somewhere not too far from the mask. the water collected there suddenly, blocked off the hose and got blown into his nose but can't be sure without knowing how the hose was routed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Great find. We don't need no stinkin' Nettipot to do sinus rinse. We can use this method to do a sinus power wash. Oh-jeez Rolling laughRolling laugh

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep the machine below bed level, and allow enough sag in the hose to avoid water running to the mask.

Fix the problem by adding the heated hose kit if you have a Series 60. Hose covers can help if you have a Series 50 or earlier unit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 05:12 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 04:40 PM)groggykevin Wrote:
OpalRose

You will have to go into clinical mode to change setting.
When on System One setting, the machine has sensors that measure the humidity
in your room. I know when I used this setting, the water never dropped in the chamber. If on classic mode, you will get more humidity, sometimes too much which then causes what you experienced. You will probably have to try different settings to see what works best for you.
OpalRose

Aw, the humidifier was already on "System One" setting. Bummer, I was ready to switch it and have the problem solved. I don't have a heated hose tho, maybe i'll try that... Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2015, 09:07 PM)PaytonA Wrote: We need to know what the routing of the hose was. It sounds to me like the hose was kind of flat and collected a lot of condensation which never blocked the hose until he put the mask back on. Somehow this created a low spot somewhere not too far from the mask. the water collected there suddenly, blocked off the hose and got blown into his nose but can't be sure without knowing how the hose was routed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Well, from the machine, the hose dips down, then goes up toward the ceiling to a hanger and then comes down to me. Having it come down from above me has been great for it not getting tangled when I roll onto my side, but if it caused my "sinus power wash", then I should change it.
The setup looks like this, with the x's representing the hose path:
the dots are just space holders so format stays:

[ceiling level is up here]
.................................xxx
...............................x......x
.{MACHINE} xxxx....x..........xxx{connection to mask/me}
.........................xx
[floor is down here]
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are running the humidifier at its lowest setting, pay attention to how much water it is using. You should be able to run three nights (or more) at that setting before needing to add water. If it uses more than 1/2 tank per night, you likely have a failed control (hardware problem).

Otherwise, either use a heated hose or heat the room air (which heats the hose). If you like sleeping in a cold bedroom, the heated hose is the solution to your rain out problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,971 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.