Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

malwarebytes -- remind me
Can Malware bytes free edition co-exist with Norton Internet Security.

And, if yes, does MWB do nothing unless called the user invokes a scan?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The free edition of MWBytes does nothing until the user invokes it. Even then, you have the option to ignore or quarantine, as you see fit.

There is no known conflict with any other AV or malware softwares.

Dude

ps. It is considered the initial "go to" tool by most malware removal experts.
Post Reply Post Reply
The free version of Malwarebytes does nothing unless executed by the user. So, it will co-exist with antivirus software. The paid version of MWB can be set to scan dynamically/automatically so it would be an issue of double scanning with AV software. i imagine that feature could be turned off but i cannot say for sure.

Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sidenote:
If you haven't used Norton before; Comcast offers Norton for free so I tried it. After about a month it started thinking everything was dangerous and really slowed down my 'puter. A Google search revealed that I wasn't alone,

I hope you're the exception.

Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
I know it's a resource hog. I started using it many years ago when it was the AV program used inside the SCIF.
I still have a couple of years left on my NIS subscription. If I were to do it over, I think I'd buy the paid version of malware bytes.

NIS becomes a resource hog because they wish to dazzle the user with shiny-gee-wiz stuff.

This morning NIS stripped two files simply because heuristics said they had too few users.
Post Reply Post Reply

In order to install Bitdefender, I had to uninstall Malwarebytes. I didn't like that and contacted them. They said it was true due to shared files. BUT I could re-install Malwarebytes after I installed Bitdefender. I did that and it worked.

I wish there existed an antivirus and that was all it did. Scanned your emails, scanned your downloads, and watched your network.

I don't need a wallet, I don't need a PC cleaner, registry cleaner, a file shredder, or anything like that. I need antivirus and network doorkeeper.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I run Bitdefender on all my systems (Win 10 and Macs) as well as MalwareBytes. No problems on any of them. The Win10 machine has the paid version and the Macs use the free version. I have had real good luck with all of them. We use the free MalwareBytes and Windows Defender on our sound-booth Win10 machine at church., also with good results.

I have read in the Mac forums that NIS is not only a resource hog, but also does a fantastic job at corrupting files and calling things harmful that are part of the operating system. I have worked with companies that prohibit the use of NIS on their Macs for this reason. Can't remember what we used, but I know it wasn't NIS.

Homer

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2016, 06:39 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I have read in the Mac forums that NIS is not only a resource hog, but also does a fantastic job at corrupting files and calling things harmful that are part of the operating system. I have worked with companies that prohibit the use of NIS on their Macs for this reason. Can't remember what we used, but I know it wasn't NIS.

Homer

I have been running Sophos on my Macs for years with good results.

Post Reply Post Reply

I find that the best malware and virus management is by making daily incremental backup images of my system drive. That imposes no resource burden on the system except for the approx. 10 minutes at daily first boot while I'm usually having my morning pastry and coffee.

If there was a reliable AV/Malware protection software that didn't take up more resources than it was worth, I'd be happy to use one but I haven't found it so far. I don't trust any AV software that is reactive and catches things that are already on my drive. MS also states that the only sure way to restore a compromised system is to perform a clean install after wiping the drive. Deploying a backup image satisfies that with much less effort.

JMHO YMMV

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I run both Norton IS and Malwarebytes? justMongo 27 2,483 06-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Last Post: JonRedland