Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask cushion color change to yellow
mask cushion color change to yellow
Hi,
I am using Dreamwear nasal mask and bought some spare cushions from different sources. I did not use this cushions (so they are unused/new), but a few of them changed the color to yellow after several month (6-12 month). I contacted philips and they can not explain why. Does somebody have the same problem? or can explain it? solve it?
Thanks, Christian
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask cushion color change to yellow
Light makes silicon discolour turn yellow, keep then in a dark place
Post Reply Post Reply
^^^^^^ What he said!
Post Reply Post Reply
My ones turned yellow, they were in the dark, but they took over a year to turn yellowish.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Silicone just starts to break down after a while. My masks have blue silicone pads, and when the silicone starts to yellow, the gel begins to look green.

There might be additives that would prolong the life of the silicone pieces, but they'd probably have other side effects. That color change is pretty much a good indicator that the silicone is going to start losing some of its flexibility soon, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Theres a topic on another forum that discusses rejuvenating  silicone cushions and pillows by boiling them with baking soda.

I'm unsure if it's appropriate to link to other forums.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm shooting for at least two months worth of use in regards to the silicone pillows on my mask. So far, it's holding up well and my mask gets cleaned daily with anti-bacterial wipes. 

As long as it continues to provide an acceptable seal, it's not going to get replaced. I am being sent a new one though about every 30 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2018, 08:41 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm shooting for at least two months worth of use in regards to the silicone pillows on my mask. So far, it's holding up well and my mask gets cleaned daily with anti-bacterial wipes. 

As long as it continues to provide an acceptable seal, it's not going to get replaced. I am being sent a new one though about every 30 days.

The DME sends them every 30 days as that the time insurance will pay for a replacement not because it’s worn out contact them and tell them you will order supplies when you want them otherwise you and your insurance are wasting money
Post Reply Post Reply
Yellowing has puzzeld me too. I've used dreamwear for now exactly 3 yrs. I just got new supply - I get year's supply at once: 1xframe, 2x cushions, 2xheadstraps,2xcheekfabrics, 12x filters and one slimline hose. Last year I got two frames. After 6 months I was about to change the frame and the cushion but they were yellow and greasy + somewhat hardened. I kept using the old ones and they still fairly ok after 12 months use. I think frame should last at least 2 years. Undernose cushions start to harden after 6 months. I store new (unused) and the old ones in dark place, so not UV. I get the new ones in resealable plastic bag - included dreamwear sticker. I think hospital gets them in bulk and that's why they are not in retail packaging. I'm sure they were new and white when I got them - same new smell. The half of the old ones have turned yellow and (siliconoil)greasy. Boiling them in baking soda wont soften them back new (done it twice) - like what happens to pure silicon toespacers. It almost feels like they were designed to go bad. I was thinking of sinking them in medical grade silicon oil. By the way I wash my s mask, hose (brush) and humidifier in baking soda + handdishwashsoap mixutre (green apple). It's like electronics - everybody knows that electronic devices operate on smoke - when the smoke comes out - it's gone. Seems like dreamwear works on yellow and grease.

Last year I got new headgear straps and they have been more durable but harder and therefore slippery (very short hair). You cannot get updated headgear with arms in Europe. Cheapest 23$ (ebay calif.) turn into 53€ when they arrive (high postage + VAT). For the first 2yrs I didn't have any leakage and now 95% is between 3-7 litres. I tightened the straps but it squeezed/blocked nose/higher pressure and front teeths were hurting really bad every morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,436 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,712 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.