Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Up date on new sleep study
Up date on new sleep study
I think one of the possible good things I did this year was getting a second sleep study.

For about three years I was using a ASV (Automatic Servo Venerator) sleep machine, which I now feel was WAY too twitchy and over reactive to my sleep problems.

In fact I now think was causing more problems than it was curing. I know I was waken up a lot by its pushing pressure up and causing mask leaks, and I can only guess what disruptions I may had that did not wake me up fully.

I am now on a much more simple machine a APA which is an auto adjusting PAP System, which has been making my sleep patterns change, which this:

I am not sure is this is for the better: My sleep at nights is now very deep, so deep my normal wake ups are groggy, and staying awake in the middle of the night can be almost painful.

My sleep used to be not seemed to be as deep, it was like I had hardly been asleep, I would wake up from what seemed to be a light sleep and be fully awake for hours and have a little trouble getting back to sleep.

My days were often with me dragging my tail around and it would seem like I would get my second wind around supper time.

My days ARE better and I am getting more done, and although less fun at night, I am crashing after supper, and sadly enjoy TV and movies less at night. But my mornings are much better and the days are also stronger.

The only problem is how dead tired I am now during those wakeups during the night, I cannot remember having some much trouble with them.

I had gotten so used to having a little time in the middle of the night to write and do emails, now they are too hard to do, I will try to get back to bed faster and see how that works out.

It seems better but it also is different than what was normal only a few weeks ago for the last three + years.

I cannot remember sleep like this.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Up date on new sleep study
There are 4 stages of sleep and during the night and you go from one to the next and back. They are 1. Wake, 2. Light, 3. REM, and 4. Deep. It is generally recognized that the "BEST" time to wake up is when you are in Light sleep. Awakening from DEEP sleep can result in exactly what you are describing - being tired and lacking in energy. (Note that is referring to when you wake up in the morning - not about waking repeatedly during the night, which is a different problem) And for some waking from REM sleep can result in "sleep paralysis" where you can not move (and sometimes even can not breath) for a short time.

I use a ResMed S+ about $50 at Bed Bath and Beyond and other places, or $79 at Amazon and qualifies for Prime. It is a non-contact sleep monitoring device that you can set what they call a smart alarm to wake you up at a specific point in time or to automatically wake you a little earlier or later to ensure you wake up from Light sleep instead of Deep sleep. I am still testing it, but it does seem to work fairly well.

I don't know what to suggest about the awakenings during the night from deep sleep, but if it happens frequently that would be a sign potentially of Sleep Apnea's that are not being treated/prevented by your new machine and/or its settings.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2016, 08:56 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I use a ResMed S+ about $50 at Bed Bath and Beyond and other places, or $79 at Amazon and qualifies for Prime. It is a non-contact sleep monitoring device that you can set what they call a smart alarm to wake you up at a specific point in time or to automatically wake you a little earlier or later to ensure you wake up from Light sleep instead of Deep sleep. I am still testing it, but it does seem to work fairly well.

Does you ResMed S+ work while it is sitting next to your xPAP machine?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2016, 08:31 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 08:56 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I use a ResMed S+ about $50 at Bed Bath and Beyond and other places, or $79 at Amazon and qualifies for Prime. It is a non-contact sleep monitoring device that you can set what they call a smart alarm to wake you up at a specific point in time or to automatically wake you a little earlier or later to ensure you wake up from Light sleep instead of Deep sleep. I am still testing it, but it does seem to work fairly well.

Does you ResMed S+ work while it is sitting next to your xPAP machine?

Yes, I have an end table next to my side of the bed with the APaP on the end next to the wall, and the S+ on the other end pointing at me. It is arranged so the APaP hose doesn't hang in front of the S+. I thought the hose might "hose it up" (sorry couldn't resist). Works fine. I also have a CMS50D+ attached to my finger, so I look pretty serious about all this - lol...

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.