Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask design
mask design
what is the purpose of the small flap between the air intake tube and the main face cavity of the mask. i have several masks and this flap varies. my best performing (lowest ahi results) is from a mask whose flap is a one way flap.....ie it seals on exhailing . it is an uncomfortable mask tho !
n.b. i am on apap 4-12 cm.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask design
it's an anti-asphyxiation valve, it covers a large hole in the mask tube when the machine is running.

It is *always* closed, closing off the large hole, when the machine is running, otherwise you'd have a lot of air coming out there...

when the machine is *off* it opens that large hole to allow you to get fresh air so you don't asphyxiate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome bulldozer.

On a Full Face Mask (FFM) that valve is the anti-asphyxia valve. Mine only flaps in the instant between maskup and blower on. Once my PAP is at pressure, the valve remains closed.

Yours may "flap" at low pressure since your min pressure is 4.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bulldozer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 229 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,533 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Rant on Resmed N20's terrible design that causes TMJ issues CorruptAlligator 3 594 02-04-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,222 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Design - Dreamwear Nasal Headgear with Arms Donna 23 2,945 09-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.