Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask farts
mask farts
Dear Abby.

CPAP and I have a 3 month old relationship.  Amara View mask and I typically cooperate with each other.  But lately my pressures have been running high and she is farting and leaking like crazy.  We are about to divorce.  Frankly, I don't think I'm cut out for this.

1.  Any tips to save our relationship?

2.  In one thread I read this:  " If you have an auto machine, there is a setting on your machine that allows you to adjust the mask at the highest pressure before starting therapy."  I think my machine is auto (dreamstation).......how do I set this to experiment?

Signed, 
Awake in Iowa......
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask farts
ruthanne, The machine will test your mask at the highest pressure you have set. Your profile shows 16cm as your high pressure so that's the pressure it is tested at. To test your mask go to My Setup on your machine and dial to Check Mask Fit. Start the machine and it will start the test at 16cm. You'll see a small graph on your machine telling you the on going results. This allows you to adjust the mask during the test so you get instant feed back.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can do this. Each mask comes with its own relationship issues. Work with this team to narrow your pressure range. You will grow to love, love using CPAP.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Post some SleepyHead charts here so you can get input on pressure. You may be able to lower your pressure such that the mask will leak less.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2017, 04:18 AM)ruthanne Wrote: Dear Abby.

CPAP and I have a 3 month old relationship.  Amara View mask and I typically cooperate with each other.  But lately my pressures have been running high and she is farting and leaking like crazy.  We are about to divorce.  Frankly, I don't think I'm cut out for this.

1.  Any tips to save our relationship?

Could you post your data from #SleepyHead?  Sometimes a few more eyes can detect why your pressure is running high.  

Before you consider divorce...have you changed the mask cushion lately?  If you have insurance, they should be replacing the cushion monthly, if you don’t have decent coverage...these cushions can be found on Amazon for a decent cost.  They tend to get soft and will start to leak after awhile.

2.  In one thread I read this:  " If you have an auto machine, there is a setting on your machine that allows you to adjust the mask at the highest pressure before starting therapy."  I think my machine is auto (dreamstation).......how do I set this to experiment?

I think WallaWalla answered this question above. (Mask fit Check)

Order the Clinicians Manual for your machine (if you haven’t already done so.)

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also wonder about the length of time since you first starting using this cushion.

With my F&P Simplus FFM cushions, I get maybe 5-6 good weeks before they begin getting fiddly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2017, 09:25 AM)OpalRose Wrote: [quote pid='232899' dateline='1510996727']

Before you consider divorce...have you changed the mask cushion lately?  If you have insurance, they should be replacing the cushion monthly, if you don’t have decent coverage...these cushions can be found on Amazon for a decent cost.  They tend to get soft and will start to leak after awhile.

[/quote]

For 16 years or so I had no problem getting monthly replacement cushions. Recently the DME tells me that my Medicare Advantage plan will now only allow a new cushion every three months which is the same interval for a new mask. This isn't working out well, even though my cushion is washed daily using Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I'll be changing DMEs soon and will, in the process of selecting a new DME try to find out the truth about cushion replacement intervals.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Stan,

The ApneaBoard Wiki has a page that includes Medicare's replacement schedule:

Wiki: CPAP Masks

"Medicare allows for mask cushion replacement every three (3) months and complete mask system replacement every six (6) months."
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually the Wiki is out of date. The cushions are replaced every month now and the mask frame every 3 months. The head gear is every 6 months.

Just updated the Wiki.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know. Thanks, Walla Walla!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,624 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,286 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,860 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,109 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,443 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,876 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,583 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.