Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask for a bearded guy
mask for a bearded guy
I have a beard and mustache, I would hate to give them up

any recommendations for a mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask for a bearded guy
The best mask for us bearded guys is nasal pillows. I have two masks I really like as shown on my profile <-----------.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a tough question to answer. Very few makers market their masks as made for guys with beards. That said, I have a full, but short beard, and you can work with it. You did not fill out any details, so we do not know any info about you your machine, whether you use a nasal mask, a FFM, or pillows - or what pressure you need - more info may help.

Please understand that I could suggest masks that work great for both myself and other members, but you may find them to be worthless. Mask choice is a very personal choice - as no two faces are the same shape/size.

By reading other threads here you will find many masks that are spoken of on a regular basis, and this too may help you pick one or more to try.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask is likely to work for you IF you can breath through your nose and keep your mouth closed while sleeping (chin strap, tape or JUST keep it closed.)

This mask is likely the best mask there is for anyone who CAN breath through nose and avoid mask leaks.

It rides RIGHT under the nose, and only touches my face immediately at the top of the area above my upper lip.

There is plenty of room for the mustache since it already cants out at the bottom and usually makes no contact beyond the first little part immediately under my nose.

I can literally almost all of my external nose without removing the pillows -- ther is enough room to reach under the mask above the upper lip and actually scratch the underside of the (external) nose. This means there is room for a mustache there too.

This thing is literally as comfortable than the LOOSE t-shirts I use for a pajama tops. More comfortable than when I make the mistake of wearing a tight fitting one to bed.

Sometimes I wake up and it's not really noticeable enough to be sure it is there until I think about it.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I too have mustache and find that the Nasal Pillow types are the best for me. I had been using the Swift LT for years and it worked pretty good. As of yesterday, I now have the Phillips Nuance nasal pillow mask and it seemed to work pretty good last night. See if you can schedule an appointment with your local equipment supplier and try some of the different nasal pillow masks out there. I tried the Swift XL at my last sleep study and it seemed to work ok.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would vote for resmed swift fx or air fit p10. I use swift fx, don't have a beard but I wouldn't see a problem with those masks and facial hair.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a mustache and a beard. I have used several different masks that utilize air cushions and none of them have leaked at any point where they contacted my facial hair. I am not up on all of the masks but the masks I have used have been a nasal mask and several full face masks that cover the nose and mouth. My pressure is apparently too high for the nasal pillows.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,217 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Mouth tape for bearded people accetableplaintain 8 3,208 08-03-2022, 04:39 PM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full face mask leak in bearded individual goodn 6 2,342 11-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Janyn
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.