Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask frustration
mask frustration
At age, 72 and considerably overweight, I've been using a CPAP for 20+ years, with the exception of a few years where I lost about 100 lbs.  From the very beginning, I had no problem and was grateful to finally get a good nights sleep.  I'm on my third machine (fourth, if you count a loaner when i took a machine apart to change the noisy bearings.

Over the years, i've used several different mask.  For the last 8 or 10 years it's the Resperonics comfort fusion.  Unfortunately, this went out of production. I tried several masks suggested by my durable equipment supplier including the "eson" which they raved about.  I didn't like it because my nose touched the inside.  My nose and everything about me is big. (almost everything)

I've tried nasal pillow masks and can't stand anything touching my nostrils.  After the comfort fusion became unavailable through my supplier, I found replacement cushions on the internet but of course, my insurance (Medicare supplement) won't pay for them.  Currently, they're still available through an overstock supplier and I'd like to buy maybe a 3 or 4 dozen which will probably last me 10 or more years or until I croak. 

Medicare will pay for a full mask (some other model) every 3 or 4 months at about $175 each.  I have about 10 masks. Nothing ever goes wrong with the clear plastic part of the mask. Only the cushion needs replacement.  The headgear is universal and probably covered by medicare through my durable supplier.

Does anyone have any experience trying to get medicare to pay for what is a more economical solution and works.  Yeah, I know, dealing with the government and built in waste and inefficiency is par for the course.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask frustration
I've found there is a "comfort gel" cushion insert that is interchangeable with the comfort fusion.  It seems I tried gel masks awhile ago and they irritated my skin. Anyone have any experience with the comfort gel?
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you try the gel cushion with a mask liner? Look at the supplier list (link at the top of this page) at supplier 31, I think they might have what you need. This way the actual cushion part wouldn't touch your skin. I have recently started using my mask with a liner and find it much more comfortable. Best of luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bigmichiganjim,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I
haven't had any experience with the Respironics mask you mentioned.
Hopefully, you can get your mask problem worked out and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Given that the Eson nose masks generally get good feedback (and I'm more than happy with mine)..... 

Dare I ask, did they give you the largest cushion they have available for the Eson mask?

There are three sizes, small/medium/large.. so don't give up on the Eson just yet, you may just need the large size cushion.

To make sure they are not "pulling the wool over your eyes" ask to see all three sizes side by side so you can compare and ensure the large size is actually a large.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim, I'm another with a big schnozz and I find that most nasal masks just aren't deep enough for my nose. If the one that worked for you is pretty much gone the way of the dodo, and you can't tolerate pillows, you may end up looking a full-face. I can use pretty much any interface (yeah, I know....I'm fortunate that way), but I tend not to go with nasal masks as with most I end up getting discomfort where my nose "bottoms out" in the mask...there are very few deep enough (they want to make them minimalist, and us big guys suffer as a result).

If you need to look at a full face, the ResMed F10 and F20 seem to have ample room for those of us with bigger noses. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the F20 does and so does the Mirage Quattro have enough room for big schnozzes.

Best Regards from an ex-Michigander

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,527 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,216 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,426 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,835 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.