Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask keeps leaking
mask keeps leaking
I keep waking up in the night with my mask leaking and making noise, as a result I do not get sleep and still feel tired. This occurs even when I tighten the mask. I have used a full face and a small nose mask. Is there a mask that will allow me to move a lot while I sleep and will not leak or make noise? Do I need to adjust my air pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask keeps leaking
I use the Respironics Wisp nasal mask and I can move around without leaks or minimal leaks if I smash the mask in to the pillow when on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gary, finding the right mask for you is the single most challenging part of therapy, IMO. Unfortunately, it is also a bit of a personal thing as your face shape is unique to you, so what works for someone else may not work for you. Hopefully you have a comfy mask that generally works well and that the leaks are only a hiccup, rather than not having found "the one" for you yet....I'll assume that you have "the one" and go from there... Smile

I am an active sleeper too and found a couple things. First, depending on the type of seal, tighter is not always better when it comes to preventing/reducing leaks. Both my nasal mask and ffm have air cushions/seals that leak worse if I cinch them down too much...they need to be looser to "puff up" properly for their seals to work. This will need to be adjusted in a mask by mask basis as some leak like a sieve if left fairly loose.

Second, sometimes you need to play with your pillow setup so as you move, it doesn't knock around or mash your mask. I used to use a pair of pillows either 90* from each other (like a "t") or offset (one slightly higher up the bed from the other...makes a bit of a hill with a thicker part in the middle and tapers at the top and bottom), depending on how I was sleeping. I've currently started with a memory foam pillow with cut-outs and it also seems to do okay (but it is not ideal for someone who occasionally ends upon the tummy).

Another thing to try is to keep your face and the seal clean. If your skin is a bit oily, the seal can pick that oil up...you can end up getting the mask sliding around a bit and leaking. Some here wash their face just before bed and their seal daily, some use CPAP wipes on both mask and face just before bed...you get the idea...you want the mask to have some staying power Smile

Hopefully something here will help Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Garry, welcome aboard!! Since you have just joined this forum can we assume that you are, relatively new to cpap? If so, what you are experiencing is expected and common. First thing is to download the software, Sleepyhead or Rescan so you can see your data. It will tell you most of what you need to know.

A couple of problems to consider; you might be overtightening your mask, which also causes leaking; and second as a beginner we tend to be restless and fidgety also causing leaks.

First thing is to try to relax and breathe and sleep. I know it's easier said than done, but this stage will pass with a bit of experience. Everyone on this forum will be happy to help you analyze your data once you get that going.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Garry55,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I use the Respironics Wisp nasal mask and I can turn with no problems. Try not to over tighten as that can cause leaks as well.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Gary, have you considered trying a chinstrap? I use one because I breathe through my mouth at night, but it's also kept my leaks under control so I don't need to use a FFM. You might try combining one with your nasal mask. I find it less intrusive than the full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might try Remzzs for your type and make of mask.
Remzzs are cloth mask liners. You can make your own as well from and old jersey t-shirt.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 367 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 520 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F30i is leaking and I don't know what to do NoddingHacker 7 2,323 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  Good AHI and good oxygen levels - CPAP Leaking yp390 1 499 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.