Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask leakage
mask leakage
what is an acceptable level of mask leakage?  I've been chasing leakage since I started with cpcp almost 2 months ago ... I've got large leaks down to "insignificant" or  Zero.. but lots of lesser leaks .. looking at yesterday's result for leaks .. does this seem low enough to stop trying to make it better, or should I continue to work on lowering it?
attached is oscar for leaks...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask leakage
Anything below about 24 shouldn't affect therapy -- i.e., the machine can "keep up" with the leaks and still provide sufficient pressure to keep your airway open. Your chart shows some significant periods around 15-18, yet at that level they probably aren't adversely affecting therapy efficacy.

But often leaks even less than that will disturb your sleep, i.e., wake you up from noise or "wind" sensations. Are you having any of that? If so, then you definitely should keep looking for a way to reduce the leaks.

If you can reduce the leaks further AND still be comfortable, that would be great. But if you can only reduce by being uncomfortable (like pain from too-tight mask), then the reduction is counterproductive.
Post Reply Post Reply
what are some of the ways that have been developed to reduce mask leakage?  

I switched from a nasal and then a nasal pillow mask to a full face mask (F30i) because I was breathing through my mouth (chin strap helped but not good enough ). then I got a cpap type pillow that helped quite a bit because I'm a side sleeper and the cut out keeps the mask from pushing against the pillow, promoting leakage. Yesterday I gave a second try to a cotton liner .. but I had to cinch up the straps to make the mask fit much tighter .. not sure if I can tolerate it... time will tell.   

I sense that the mask should just be snug but not tight .. but that doesn't work . at the higher pressures, I can feel the air pushing the edges of the silicon cushion out , until a big leak issues forth... if I wake up in time I push on the mask to stop the leakage until the pressure drops by itself.

anything suggestions on other techinques to reduce leakage would be appreciated. as leakage does wake me up.. even at the current levels.
thanks
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m a big believer in nasal pillows, particularly for side sleepers, so maybe that’s worth another try.  Personally, I was never able to get a full face mask to work well because I was always dislodging it when on my sides.

You said you tried pillows before, and the problem was mouth leaks that a chin strap didn’t help.  Chin straps are not all created equal - I’ve had problems with many of them because they pull “back” more than “up” on the jaw.  What worked for me is the “cap type” because the strap pulls “up”. There are a couple of popular brands, PapCap and Knightsbridge.  You can find reviews and comments on both here on the forum.

Taping the lips shut is another popular option.  I haven’t tried that so can’t advise specifics but searching the forum will find a lot of info, methods, and comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2021, 04:12 PM)cberistain Wrote: what is an acceptable level of mask leakage?  I've been chasing leakage since I started with cpcp almost 2 months ago ... I've got large leaks down to "insignificant" or  Zero.. but lots of lesser leaks .. looking at yesterday's result for leaks .. does this seem low enough to stop trying to make it better, or should I continue to work on lowering it?
attached is oscar for leaks...

Do you have a mustache or beard?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I never had good luck with liners. But overtightening made can cause  leaks. They are designed to be loose. The edged supposed to inflate to fit face. This is my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2021, 10:01 PM)DaveL Wrote: Do you have a mustache or beard?

nope .. shave every day

charlie
Post Reply Post Reply
Many FFM and nose masks (but not nasal masks that sit in the nostrils) are designed to be left on what is considered the loose side when you first put them on - they generally have a very soft contact area that "inflates" when the machine is turned on so the mask follows the individual contours of the wearer's face.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2021, 03:35 PM)cberistain Wrote: nope .. shave every day

charlie

Years ago I worked for Atomic Energy of Canada, Chalk River. 

They had an elaborate way of checking for mask leakage. Had to know how to put a mask on and use it in case there was a danger in the active area.....

But condition of employment as a summer student was to shave off beard & mustache.  So I did. It was to prevent mask leakage.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
To help to check if your leaks are to much do 2 things.  First make sure you have the correct type of mask picked on the cpap machine.  Next on the leak rate graph move your mouse to the left side of the chart near the works leak rate and right click - go down to dotted line - pick leak rate upper threshold.  That will give you a line that below is a rate the cpap can adjust for and above is a Large Leak that it can not make adjustments for.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 257 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Why do I need to get my flow limitation and leakage down? Kathy14225 12 1,428 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask 'Pulsing/Jumping' - Plus leakage issues Jake B 4 3,202 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: HULK
  Resmed Airfit F30 Mask Leakage jerrydaw 28 7,563 09-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: car54
  N30i leakage alvaro212 11 1,843 07-23-2023, 04:22 AM
Last Post: BAZZA
Question [Diagnosis] Central Apnea associated with mask leakage? wdfarmer 9 1,943 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Cam12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.