Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask leaks
mask leaks
I am having problems with masks leaks.  Less than a month ago, I received a Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV to replace my old Respironics bipap due to the recall. 
So far I haven't been able to control mask leaks very well.  I'm using a Resmed Quattro Air full face mask and headgear along with a Respironics chin strap.  I also use Remzzzzs cloth mask liners.  
Over the past 9 1/2 years, the bipap machine(s) has sat on the top of a floor cabinet, which is approximately 10 1/2" below the top of the bed mattress.  That is from the top of the machine.   I've tried tightening and loosening the head gear straps and still have large leaks according to the emoji on the front of the new machine and the Oscar program.  I am going to attempt to attach a screenshot of a recent night.  

Does anyone in the forum have any thoughts regarding my mask leak problems? 

Thank you very much for your time.   -  Dreamless

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask leaks
I'm no pro on this subject but, yeah, your leaks are terrible. And they're obviously causing your pressure to rise hugely in an attempt to compensate. I can't imagine why a change in machine would result in these sorts of leaks, unless your settings have also drastically changed. Have you checked that?

How old is your mask? What else changed with the change of machine? It sounds like everything is the same except the machine.

I'm not much help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the hose intact? Recently my leakage drove me mad for about two weeks until I realised that there was a hole in the hose ...
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2021, 03:29 AM)multicast Wrote: Is the hose intact?  Recently my leakage drove me mad for about two weeks until I realised that there was a hole in the hose ...

Oh, good point! Also, check the point of attachment to the mask...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes as mentioned, hose and mask cushion integrity will need addressed. Do you notice air leaking around the mask? Any other area that has air leaking out?

All ResMed PAP machines have a leak redline of 24, so your leaks need addressed. None of the PAP machines can deliver accurate therapy with high leak rates, and the usage data accuracy suffers too. This gets a higher priority due to the higher demands ASV works under.

When I used the same model ASV, I kept my Max leaks at 10. Any higher than this and it felt that therapy was less effective. You have to decide for yourself what leak rate is acceptable, but it must be a reasonable amount lower than the 24 redline.

To help you have a simplified and easier to track leak status, avoid the insanely void of info ASV display. The mask fit is funny to view, inaccurate, insanity creating. Just say no.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your replies.  I will try to address all in this post.   I really appreciate your taking the time to give me suggestions and ideas.    

I cannot think of anything else new other than the new machine and the settings are the same as they were on the old machine.  About the hose, I do check it every month to see if its leaking but to rule out that possibility, I am going to try a new hose tonight.  The wife and I have checked around the elbow coupling and I don't think it is leaking any more than usual, the mask is only two months old.  

Yes, that display leaves a lot to be desired (emojis).  

Thank you!  - Dreamless
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a wonderful explanation here that says how we adjust the headgear makes a big difference in the way a mask works.

Last night I checked how I had tightened the headgear on my nasal mask.  I evened it out so straps were adjusted the same--the two on the top were the same; the two on the bottom were the same. Made all the difference in the world. Stopped the leakage problem I've had for a while.

I've done this a long time. About 35 years.  Generalizing--masks are much better, but I can't use them as long. Your Two months isn't very long. However, I suggest you take a look at the head gear. Have the straps stretched?

Another poster suggested that he washes the headgear in hot water, let it dry--and the stretch in his head gear is gone.  He also reminded me to use a hose reel to support my hose. I've done that. I sleep much better.  Thanks Big Guy.

My DME supplier checks me out by looking at my face, goes back to select a mask and sells it to me, new in a sealed bag. They ignore the "fit gauge" in the box.  Checking with that I find I'm a "Medium". Not a large.  Makes a difference.  And maybe I over tighten my mask straps....I wish they would adjust the mask for me and check the fit gauge....I can buy masks much cheaper on the internet and get the same service.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply, I will check out the straps, seems like one is longer than the other, if so I'll wash it in cold water, see what happens
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.