Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask leaks - what is a normal amount?
mask leaks - what is a normal amount?
What is a normal leak number on a S9, using a nasal mask? My current is 25-35.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask leaks - what is a normal amount?
BTW I am using a ResMed Mirage™ FX Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear. AHI is typically <3.0 w/leaks 25ML-35ml
Post Reply Post Reply
With a Resmed S9, you want to maintain a leak rate below 24.0 l/min., otherwise your data may be compromised. Having said that, make sure your mask type is set correctly in your machine, settings or that can lead to faulty results as well.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2012, 05:38 AM)Ribman Wrote: What is a normal leak number on a S9, using a nasal mask? My current is 25-35.
The S9 calculate unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak)
unintentional leak = total leak – intentional leak (mask vents leak)
you have to set the mask type

ResMd define acceptable leak at 24 L/min
In the presence of a high level of unintentional leak, AHI value cannot be analyzed correctly.

95% percentile leak
the machine detected leak was AT and BELOW for 95% of the time and for 5% higher
we have to see the stats and Resscan leak graph to know if leak is problem
adding a chinstrap can help with keeping mouth closed and minimizing mouth breathing otherwise full face mask

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your responses. I went to my DME today and they downloaded my card. I explained lately I have been itching my itchy face. They told me that explains the leaks, due to me lifting the mask to scratch the itch! We figured out this all started when I changed soaps I use to wash the masks and tubes!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ribman, It's great that you were able to trace your leak problem back to the soap you were using, now you can move forward from there. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Which is one of the reasons I use a vinegar solution for cleanings and use a hand soap I know I can use on my face for quick cleans. My skin is super sensitive to stuff like that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2012, 04:10 PM)Ribman Wrote: They told me that explains the leaks, due to me lifting the mask to scratch the itch!

Are you seeing very short blips on your leak line? Scratching shouldn't affect your overall numbers, unless you're leaving your mask screwed up after scratching.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, after cleaning the soap off the mask, no scratching. But the leak is still at 25L. Any help here? I do not think I am mouth breathing......
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2012, 09:14 AM)Ribman Wrote: yes, after cleaning the soap off the mask, no scratching. But the leak is still at 25L. Any help here? I do not think I am mouth breathing......
see post #4.
the number doesn't tell us how long stayed at 25, just got there at some point. it could be for a short time but you need to look at your download
any leak causing sleep disturbance need to be fixed
maybe the cushion need replacing
fit the mask at full pressure
if you feel comfortable turn ramp off and start treatment at the set pressure 14
its common to try several masks to find the right one, mask have to works for you and be comfortable

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 416 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 160 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.