Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mask leaks - what is a normal amount?
RE: mask leaks - what is a normal amount?
I have an S9 with a Quattro full face mask. My leakage said 85L/min in the morning. But I am not detecting any leak, my fiance said she did not hear it leaking, and she generally lets me know when it does leak because the squeking sound of air escaping wakes her, plus I feel like I got a good rest. I am curious why the number is so high?

I run my pressure at 16. Last night was the first time I tried using autoset instead of CPAP mode, and it seemed like it worked better to me. The leakage was worse on CPAP mode, usually around 110L/min

So any idea what I am doing wrong here??

Thanx
DOC
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2012, 05:38 AM)Ribman Wrote: What is a normal leak number on a S9, using a nasal mask? My current is 25-35.

If you check your data in sleepyhead, it will show the base leak rate that the mask is designed to maintain, as well as the leaks from poor fit, etc.

You want the second type of leak to be as close to zero as you can get it, since they can prevent the machine from accurately measuring what's going on, as well as prevent the machine from fixing it. Leaks also can cause dry eyes, mouth and annoyed bed partners. 8-)

The first kind of "leak" is mandatory, the second one is best avoided if possible.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 10:35 AM)doccuke Wrote: I run my pressure at 16. Last night was the first time I tried using autoset instead of CPAP mode, and it seemed like it worked better to me. The leakage was worse on CPAP mode, usually around 110L/min

Thanx
DOC
Which guy showing up on your screen in the morning ... Mr Smiley or Mr Frowny?
Mr Smiley is good ... indicate 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/m
Mr Frowny indicate mask-fit some adjustment needed to mask, cushion, or/and headgear
Try the mask fit feature while you,re fitting the mask, washing the mask cushion daily in soapy hot water to remove facial oil helps with the seal and having the right size too

ResMed machines consider leak in the order of 24 L/m is an acceptable leak as it report unintentional leak
(unlike other machines that report total leak)

Leak can be from mask not fitting correctly, air escaping through the mouth, or leak somewhere in the system such as loose tube connection or pin-hole in the tube somewhere hard to detect ...

In general, full face masks are more troublesome than nasal or nasal pillows, chinstrap with nasal mask can minimize mouth leaks

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 03:54 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 10:35 AM)doccuke Wrote: I run my pressure at 16. Last night was the first time I tried using autoset instead of CPAP mode, and it seemed like it worked better to me. The leakage was worse on CPAP mode, usually around 110L/min

Thanx
DOC
Mr Frowny indicate mask-fit some adjustment needed to mask, cushion, or/and headgear
Try the mask fit feature while you,re fitting the mask, washing the mask cushion daily in soapy hot water to remove facial oil helps with the seal and having the right size too

ResMed machines consider leak in the order of 24 L/m is an acceptable leak as it report unintentional leak

Leak can be from mask not fitting correctly, air escaping through the mouth, or leak somewhere in the system such as loose tube connection or pin-hole in the tube somewhere hard to detect ...

In general, full face masks are more troublesome than nasal or nasal pillows, chinstrap with nasal mask can minimize mouth leaks

I get the smiley face but when I look at the stats it said 85. It does seem to be tough to get a perfect seal with a beard, that may be the problem. I do feel much better using it, so not sure how much effort I should put into this issue. Also given that I run 16 for pressure, I know that is more likely to leak because of the higher pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 04:03 PM)doccuke Wrote: I get the smiley face but when I look at the stats it said 85. It does seem to be tough to get a perfect seal with a beard, that may be the problem. I do feel much better using it, so not sure how much effort I should put into this issue. Also given that I run 16 for pressure, I know that is more likely to leak because of the higher pressure

Just for purposes of comparison, I use a Mirage Quattro full face mask and my therapeutic pressure is 20 cm/H2O. I have a beard and mustache. My median leak rate has been 0 l/min. for quite some time now. My 95% leak rate is generally below 8. My point is that your beard should not be much of a consideration in deciding how your leak rate is doing. Several nights ago I did get a leak rate spike of 160 but it was only momentary - no worries.

I can not remember if you are using software to download and analyze your data but if you are not, you should. Download Sleepyhead from this forum and use it to look at how your leaks are for the night. It would be very helpful.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 04:03 PM)doccuke Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 03:54 PM)zonk Wrote:

Thanx
DOC

I get the smiley face but when I look at the stats it said 85. It does seem to be tough to get a perfect seal with a beard, that may be the problem. I do feel much better using it, so not sure how much effort I should put into this issue. Also given that I run 16 for pressure, I know that is more likely to leak because of the higher pressure

Am I missing something? Where do you guys see these smiley faces in SH, Is that only for you machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 02:16 AM)sumzzzs Wrote: Am I missing something? Where do you guys see these smiley faces in SH, Is that only for you machine?

The smiley face appears on the LCD screen on the machine - only Resmed machines as far as I am aware. Other brands might give you some sort of text readout (don't really know) but the Resmed is a great quick & dirty approximation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 02:16 AM)sumzzzs Wrote: Am I missing something? Where do you guys see these smiley faces in SH, Is that only for you machine?
Not in SH, either Mr Smiley or Mr Frowny will show-up at the LCD of S9 or A10 sleep report in the morning
ResMed users are not that bright, pictures make them happy Too-funny
[Image: Mask-fit.jpg]

The above description is accurate for earlier models of the S9 but in later AutoSet models, ResMed has made some changes so the mask fit pressure uses the 95th percentile pressure of the previous night

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 04:33 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 04:03 PM)doccuke Wrote: I get the smiley face but when I look at the stats it said 85. It does seem to be tough to get a perfect seal with a beard, that may be the problem. I do feel much better using it, so not sure how much effort I should put into this issue. Also given that I run 16 for pressure, I know that is more likely to leak because of the higher pressure

Just for purposes of comparison, I use a Mirage Quattro full face mask and my therapeutic pressure is 20 cm/H2O. I have a beard and mustache. My median leak rate has been 0 l/min. for quite some time now. My 95% leak rate is generally below 8. My point is that your beard should not be much of a consideration in deciding how your leak rate is doing. Several nights ago I did get a leak rate spike of 160 but it was only momentary - no worries.

I can not remember if you are using software to download and analyze your data but if you are not, you should. Download Sleepyhead from this forum and use it to look at how your leaks are for the night. It would be very helpful.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I have not been using any software, I will check that out
Thanx
DOC

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 02:23 PM)doccuke Wrote:
(01-17-2015, 04:33 PM)PaytonA Wrote:

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I have not been using any software, I will check that out
Thanx
DOC

OK, feeling not so bright here, I downloaded sleepyhead, plugged in the card from my CPAP and I am trying to import data. I looked in the root, DATALOG and SETTINGS folders and it is finding no data. There are files in all 3 folders so I am not sure what I am doing wrong

I am an IT tech for a living, so not green to PCs, just do not seem to be finding what this program seems to be looking for in my files

DOC

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 439 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 288 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 449 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 333 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 138 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 553 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 886 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.