Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

maybe hypothetical question
maybe hypothetical question
Has anyone ever heard of sleeping medication reducing Clear Airway events?

The reason I ask is that I have noticed that on this my 2nd go round with CPAP, as usual I get CA's, no one knows yet what they are, still waiting for titration. Anyway, I was so tired the last few nights that I took 1.5 Zopiclone tablets that would be around 10.25mg. I sleep really well, and my AHI fell from around the late teens to under 5.

I have not been a good sleeper most of my life, early trauma etc, so I am wondering if the insomnia is part of the issue with what the machine thinks are CA's. So in effect the air blowing in to my throat is an alarm...

I know this may sound crazy, but heck its the best I could do this morning...

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: maybe hypothetical question
It could be that your insomnia was keeping you half asleep while you're on the CPAP. Our breathing patterns are more erratic while we are awake or are waking up, as opposed to the more steady rhythm while we're asleep.

Just a thought. . . Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2015, 02:06 PM)storywizard Wrote: Has anyone ever heard of sleeping medication reducing Clear Airway events?

Short answer - no.

Long answer is too long - I would have to explain how your particular medication works and how it could not reduce CAs, which would go into the nature of CAs and a lot of stuff that alas, I simply don't have time for. More likely you did not experience a CA because of the sleep state you were in on the medication. But this would not be a useful or long term solution and would under long term use possibly be harmful to a healthy sleep. However, the point that being in fugue states instead of deep sleep would cause irregular breathing is not unknown.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Doc..

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
A fugue state? Playing a repetitive contrapuntal melody on organ while asleep? Now that is talent Bach would have been jealous of! Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhRa3REdozw
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a level in what you would describe as sort but not really sleeping although you dream that falls under the fugue state category, we all go through it from time to time. There are better technical terms for these states, but essentially it fits the above description. In this state your respiration can be irregular and you can skip breath, which will be interpreted as a CA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2015, 05:58 PM)trailrider Wrote: A fugue state? Playing a repetitive contrapuntal melody on organ while asleep? Now that is talent Bach would have been jealous of! Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhRa3REdozw

Thanks Trailrider - that's just wonderful. The organist looked familiar, then I remembered I saw him many years ago playing Bach's Brandenburg No 5 with the Australian Chamber Orchestra. Wonderful!
Post Reply Post Reply
This is why I asked this question:

Friday night on Zopiclone...

[img][Image: April24_Zopiclone_Web_zps206ryb42.jpg][/img]

Sunday night, no Zopiclone...
[img][Image: April26_NoZopiclone_Web_zpskrp7quul.jpg][/img]

I am thinking I have "really bad sleep architecture"

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
Gracious! Your Sunday chart looks like it could be a musical fugue! What was your "total time in apnea"? I think you should try switching to auto for a while, and putting it at 7 min and say 15 max. That would give you data to show whether the auto can help. If it doesn't then a BiPAP or ASV can be shown as a needed option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2015, 05:35 PM)trailrider Wrote: Gracious! Your Sunday chart looks like it could be a musical fugue! What was your "total time in apnea"? I think you should try switching to auto for a while, and putting it at 7 min and say 15 max. That would give you data to show whether the auto can help. If it doesn't then a BiPAP or ASV can be shown as a needed option.

I was in Apnea just over 17min...
Can't adjust machine, its a loner from a DME...on trial for 2 months, 6 weeks to go...
I started out this trial at 6-16 , I was getting AHI of 22-23...

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,423 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Hypothetical question re: typical APAP optimization for OSA based on 2-week data Shin Ryoku 22 3,777 01-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.