Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

maybe hypothetical question
RE: maybe hypothetical question
(04-28-2015, 06:44 PM)storywizard Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 06:27 PM)trailrider Wrote: Have you tried your EPR to 3? I like that setting myself.

I just use the EPR on ramp, it's at 3, do you think I should try it all night??

Storywizard

Thought you had EPR on previously and took it out to see if it would help with pressure related CA. I don't have an issue with clear airway events.... so take my advice with a grain of salt Smile If they are caused by pressure, then according to what I have read, the variance and amount of pressures are implicated - so that EPR should be reduced or eliminated to keep the pressure steady. Seems it is first pressure that is varied causing the body to react by holding breath, and second the amount of pressure is implicated with greater issues at higher pressures. When this happens, sometimes the body gets used to the pressures over some time... your best option might be to stick with the best plan you have with osa needs vs ca needs and let your body acclimatize. I have had different issues with my therapy, and its only now after > 5mo that I feel like I am getting the sleep I need --- I went without for far longer. It sometimes just takes time and persistence.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: maybe hypothetical question
"Comorbidity" is a pretty scary word; it seems like it is overstating the case a bit. As if it meant "two things conspiring together to murder you". Technically, I guess it can actually mean that, but it really only means two symptoms having coincidence, and possibly aggravating each other. Also not good, just not as life-threatening as it sounds. I'd suggest retiring the word, but most docs need to sound smart, so they would never agree with that.

Z-drugs can cause fugue states by their very nature. They put you to sleep by depressing the central nervous system, and they have a particular sinister ability to put your higher brain functions to sleep which hopefully coincides with putting your lower, reptile-brain functions to sleep as well, but the risk is in your reptile brain waking up and acting out, without your higher brain functions becoming cognizent enough to keep a tight leash on the potentially irrational actions of the reptile brain.

That is something that has nearly a 100% chance of not happening without the drug, but a slightly lower chance of not happening with it. This explains a lot of odd behavior, including people in their underwear peeing in busy intersections at 2 AM, awakening to find you have eaten everything in the refrigerator, wrong-way driving arrests, and more. This is how a Kennedy drove into a barrier at the capitol at midnight, and how Robert Downey gave a rambling early-morning interview to a radio show. Not that this will happen, but also not that it won't happen. Basically, you can not fully "wake up" for a time and be quite literally, out of your mind for that period of time. Never bodes well for your wellbeing. Its a tiny risk, but one I won't be taking, that is for sure.

But from a simple viewpoint, it would seem that since CA events are basically the CNS being just under the borderline of triggering the respiration feedback system to tell you when to breathe, and that something depressing it would aggravate CAs rather than lessen them, so this is a very interesting paradoxical reaction.

Please let us know what your PSG reveals.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,450 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Hypothetical question re: typical APAP optimization for OSA based on 2-week data Shin Ryoku 22 3,806 01-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.