Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help interpreting OSCAR charts and data
Help interpreting OSCAR charts and data
*Apologies if this is not the appropriate forum to ask OSCAR questions or if I omit anything required/broke posting etiquette.  I will fix my post with the appropriate corrections if anything is incorrect! 

Hi, I recently downloaded OSCAR to track my progress with my ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.  I have used it for about half a year (unfortunately on and off...haven't been the best with consistency) and I unfortunately haven't really felt my sleep has improved.  I don't really understand how to interpret the OSCAR data and was hoping I could have my results interpreted and I will hopefully be able to understand how to interpret on my own from there. 

I will appreciate any feedback and suggestions on what to try to improve my CPAP therapy!  Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help interpreting OSCAR charts and data
Welcome to the forum.

Looking at your charts:
Your numbers are excellent, 1.3 AHI is about half on mine last night. Changes should be made to alleviate symptoms at this stage, not to chase numbers.
You have 1 RERA about every 2 hours on average. RERAs are a series of Flow Limitations followed by arousal.
That said you have mild Flow Limitations and a few obviously correspond with some RERAs. The simple definition of Flow Limitation is a reduced flow below that of a hypopnea.
Neither your Flow Limitations nor your RERAs are significant.
Your min pressure is 5, most adults find that to be difficult to breathe, I needed 10 but is exceptionally high.
For comfort Set either
min pressure =7, EPR on Full time and EPR=2
min pressure =6, EPR on Full time and EPR=3

Both of these will leave your therapeutic pressure at 5 where it currently is and will also likely reduce both your Flow Limitations and RERAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice and MANY thanks for helping develop this great program!

Funny enough, I thought that the EPR wasn't helping me so I turned it off.  My mistake!  I will try it at the settings you suggested and report back.

Would you happen to have any other suggestions?  It's good to hear that there aren't any glaring issues, but it's unfortunate that that means I am at a bit of a dead end on figuring out what is wrong with my sleep.  I never really feel like I reach deep sleep and I always feel like I am more tired after sleeping than before I went to sleep.

I had the possibility that perhaps my issues are central apneas rather than obstructive apnea events on another forum.  Are there any graphs or data from OSCAR that can help me discern if that is an issue?  If that happens to be my issue, would it help to run my machine as a CPAP with a constant pressure rather than an APAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
You do have a few central apneas, which show up in the chart as "clear airway". However the number is so low as to be irrelevant.

Other issues to think about include leaks, mask fit, bed comfort, sleep hygiene and external factors.
  • Leaks: Although the recorded leaks are low, they can be disturbing, especially if the air blows into your eyes or causes "face farts". This can sometimes be overcome using mask liners (Remzz or Pad-a-cheek). Also, make sure your skin is very clean before going to bed, and perhaps have a quick shave. Any oils on the skin could prevent the mask getting a good seal.
  • Mask fit: Obviously related to leaks, but also your comfort. If the mask doesn't fit properly or the straps are too tight (perhaps bearing on a pressure point) then there is another factor to address.
  • Bed comfort: More or less goes without saying, but is your bed comfortable and supportive? Including your pillow?
  • Sleep hygiene: You probably already know all about this. I noticed you went to bed very late and also slept fairly late in the morning. Is this in accordance with your normal circadian rhythms?
  • External factors: Other illness, vitamins & hormones (especially Vitamin D and thyroid), medications, alcohol or caffeine, external noise and light coming into your bedroom? Does your bed partner disturb your sleep (tossing & turning, snoring, etc)?
Not an exhaustive list but a few things to think about.
Post Reply Post Reply
if 0.58% ca is irrelevant, so are 0.58% h, 0.43% rera and 0.14% oa.

I'm inclined to agree with this. (re ca: 2 of 4 ca at the end of the OP charts may be sleep wake junk). however, these figures may be relevant in combination. 1.30 ahi is great but of course it's not the whole story. how do you feel? sounds like not up to par yet.

I agree with the foregoing replies. these few events together with mild flow limitations and inverted in/ex numbers - MNsleeplessnights could see some additional improvement with DB's 'other issues to think about' and bonjour's suggested settings above. epr in particular.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 46 6 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 143 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.