Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

medication
RE: medication
Where I live I can get Xanax over the counter, and have stocked up over the years so I usually have 30 or 40 with me at all times. They are cheap and do an incredible job putting me to sleep.....I also have incredibly vivid dreams when I take one and can always sleep for 9 or 10 hours like a baby.

HOWEVER......I have weened myself off of them because I don't want to get addicted! Same with Valium, which will also put you to sleep, but can be highly addictive. Once I started CPAP therapy a year ago I put them both on the shelf and now only take one maybe once per week, if I had a bad day and really need a good night's sleep.

So, to address your question exactly; ''Does anyone take Xanax or something similar? If so, do you take it before sleep and if so, does it cause you any problems with sleep apnea?"

Yes, I have taken it off and on for years, before and after getting the CPAP machine. It will surely help you sleep either way, but like many drugs that is just masking and putting a band-aid on the true problem, which will never get cured unless you address the under-lying problem. IE, Apnea. So is it causing a problem? YES.... if you don't bother using the machine you will always have Apnea, Xanax won't cure it by any means.

I'd recommend Melatonin.....after I stopped taking Valiums and Xanax I started on Melatonin [5mg-10mg a night] and it works very similarly, but without the addictive qualities of Xanax. In fact, my DR recommends it and he would never recommend Xanax or even Lunesta, he wants me to fall asleep naturally.
Post Reply Post Reply
Route67, glad we agree on how meds can be addictive and that the cause needs to be what is treated not the symptopms. I used to take Xanax but during the day for anxiety. I agree with you on Melatonin I used to take Valerian sometimes to settle me at night which is a herb over the counter product as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2013, 11:56 AM)Route67 Wrote: Where I live I can get Xanax over the counter, and have stocked up over the years so I usually have 30 or 40 with me at all times. They are cheap and do an incredible job putting me to sleep.....I also have incredibly vivid dreams when I take one and can always sleep for 9 or 10 hours like a baby.

HOWEVER......I have weened myself off of them because I don't want to get addicted! Same with Valium, which will also put you to sleep, but can be highly addictive. Once I started CPAP therapy a year ago I put them both on the shelf and now only take one maybe once per week, if I had a bad day and really need a good night's sleep.

So, to address your question exactly; ''Does anyone take Xanax or something similar? If so, do you take it before sleep and if so, does it cause you any problems with sleep apnea?"

Yes, I have taken it off and on for years, before and after getting the CPAP machine. It will surely help you sleep either way, but like many drugs that is just masking and putting a band-aid on the true problem, which will never get cured unless you address the under-lying problem. IE, Apnea. So is it causing a problem? YES.... if you don't bother using the machine you will always have Apnea, Xanax won't cure it by any means.

I'd recommend Melatonin.....after I stopped taking Valiums and Xanax I started on Melatonin [5mg-10mg a night] and it works very similarly, but without the addictive qualities of Xanax. In fact, my DR recommends it and he would never recommend Xanax or even Lunesta, he wants me to fall asleep naturally.

I use my CPAP machine faithfully, even if I take a nap. I do NOT use Xanax for sleep and if I take it in the late afternoon, I never take it close to bedtime. FYI, those that need help sleeping, somnapure is also a good otc sleep aid that is natural and all that I know that have used it love it
Post Reply Post Reply
Two weeks ago I started on 5mg. Of Melatonin.

Since starting CPAP I have been waking up several times a night. My MD offered me sleeping pills but I refuse to use sleeping pills.

I find now, with the Melatonin, I sleep right through the night. With the exception of waking up for a pee break.

Great stuff that Melatonin.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 358 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 272 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,537 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Apnimed - New OSA medication? Cpalms 1 640 07-05-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Medication affects on OSCAR data coldfeet7 1 511 03-20-2022, 10:50 PM
Last Post: coldfeet7
  CPAP medication Big Guy 4 979 01-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Medication, a cautionary tale tinyobject 4 1,036 09-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.