Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

medication
medication
Just curious. Does anyone take Xanax or something similar? If so, do you take it before sleep and if so, does it cause you any problems with sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: medication
There's been several discussions by folks who were taking "benzos". Do a search for the word 'benzo' to find them. From what I have read and in reading their stories, I don't think I would ever take one of those meds.

But even other antidepressants can muck with sleep apnea readings. I take Effexor now but the one I was taking before...starts with an L but I can't remember the name. Anyway, I found it really screwed up my AHI. Before I started it, I was regularly getting below 1 AHI. With it, the AHI went higher. Still below 5 but higher than my norm. We took me off of it for another reason and switched to Effexor. But I think it is also messing with the AHI as I rarely get anything less than 2 anymore.

BUT, that's the price I am willing to pay!!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am in Pain MGNT. Every time they switch my meds, my AHIs increase for a week or so until my body gets used to the change. Am not really sure which meds you are thinking about.

My wife has an un-named condition - so says our sleep doc. All people have 'sleep apnea', it's just a matter of how bad (he says). She also has an issue where her mind is so busy that it takes her 1-2 hours to fall asleep, and then rarely does she sleep deeply. Between 1X 0.5mg Xanex and a CPAP set at 4 she is now falling asleep much faster, getting better and longer sleep periods - a real win for her. She has tried doing one without the other, but is convinced that it's the combo of the two that does it for her.

Not true apnea in my mind, doesn't snore or anything, just a super light sleeper that thinks too much - who knows? Perhaps the pattern of the CPAP and a mild 'med' is what's doing the job - either way she sleeps much better now.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2013, 09:23 PM)me50 Wrote: Just curious. Does anyone take Xanax or something similar? If so, do you take it before sleep and if so, does it cause you any problems with sleep apnea?

me50, I have tried Xanax which is for anxiety and have tried most antidepressants but nothing worked for me. Everybody is different and meds work for some and not for others. I never wanted to take them because I don't know and the medical profession really don't know what long term affects are on the brain. If your taking it try not to take it for long periods as they can be addictive. Since being on my CPAP my depression has lifted and I haven't been on meds for over a year now. I do things now like meditation, exercise, eat better and sleep better and feel so much better just knowing that I don't take any medication. Doctors hand out meds way to easily as it is an easy way for them to solve the symptoms when what they should be doing is solving the cause. It is also a nice money spinning for pharmaceutical companies. Could you imagine how many companies would go broke if patients didn't need medsThinking-about, just my rant.
Post Reply Post Reply
Long-term use = addiction.

If someone were talking blood-thinners, would you say,"If your taking it try not to take it for long periods as they can be addictive."?
If someone takes Xanax daily to control anxiety successfully, would you say,"If your taking it try not to take it for long periods as they can be addictive."?
If someone takes morphine (through Pain MGNT) so they have a better quality of life and can function, would you say,"If your taking it try not to take it for long periods as they can be addictive."?
If someone takes insulin because they are diabetic, and would otherwise die, would you say,"If your taking it try not to take it for long periods as they can be addictive."?

My point is while your phrase *may* be accurate, you make it sound negative. You need to look at the use, and the effect on quality of life, and weigh the PROs and CONs. Lastly, there is a big difference between 'physical dependence', and addiction. EXAMPLE: I am physically dependant on morphine, but am not 'addicted' to it. I have been on and off pain meds for 30+ years - addiction and abuse go together, physical dependence does not.

http: //en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Addiction (remove the spaces)
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate all of the responses. I haven't seen many that address the questions that I asked which are "Just curious. Does anyone take Xanax or something similar? If so, do you take it before sleep and if so, does it cause you any problems with sleep apnea?"
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2013, 10:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There's been several discussions by folks who were taking "benzos". Do a search for the word 'benzo' to find them. From what I have read and in reading their stories, I don't think I would ever take one of those meds.

But even other antidepressants can muck with sleep apnea readings. I take Effexor now but the one I was taking before...starts with an L but I can't remember the name. Anyway, I found it really screwed up my AHI. Before I started it, I was regularly getting below 1 AHI. With it, the AHI went higher. Still below 5 but higher than my norm. We took me off of it for another reason and switched to Effexor. But I think it is also messing with the AHI as I rarely get anything less than 2 anymore.

BUT, that's the price I am willing to pay!!

I will check it out. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:If someone takes morphine (through Pain MGNT) so they have a better quality of life and can function, would you say,"If your taking it try not to take it for long periods as they can be addictive."?

I take 15 mg. of Slow Release Morphine daily. I take these for Pain Management and have done so for several years. My MD suggested I take it 3 times daily but I prefer in the morning to help me through the day and at bedtime to help me sleep.
Whether I'm addicted or not I don't know and at my age, don't care, I live a better life with than without it.
With the slow release there is no "buzz" with it and I think it's the "buzz" that makes people addicted.Dont-know
Anyway, that my 2 cents worth.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(putting on Moderator hat)

Let's try to keep this to the OP's original question and not a debate on what is or is not addicting, addiction, or whatever. Thank you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2013, 10:09 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: (putting on Moderator hat)

Let's try to keep this to the OP's original question and not a debate on what is or is not addicting, addiction, or whatever. Thank you.

You're Welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] FYI Medication study for OSA Gideon 0 258 11-17-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,483 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Apnimed - New OSA medication? Cpalms 1 613 07-05-2022, 10:23 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Medication affects on OSCAR data coldfeet7 1 497 03-20-2022, 10:50 PM
Last Post: coldfeet7
  CPAP medication Big Guy 4 953 01-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Medication, a cautionary tale tinyobject 4 1,024 09-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.