Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reliability of Minute Ventilation Measurement
Reliability of Minute Ventilation Measurement
Sorry for starting a new thread, but this isn't specifically about my own therapy. I'm just looking for some clarity on whether mouth breathing (exhale, inhale or both) can affect the reliability of Tidal Volume/Minute Vent reporting by APAP/CPAP machines. I do notice from my Oscar data that when I have periods of mouth breathing, the reported Tidal Volume and Minute Vent both fall, without any change in Respiration Rate. That seems to suggest that the readings are suspect when mouth breathing. If anyone know for sure and can explain why (or direct me to a relevant post or link), I'd really appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reliability of Minute Ventilation Measurement
It makes sense. Without all the air being processed by the circuit your CPAP wouldn't be able to process the volume lost.

Obviously this depends on the proprietary algorithms used and their specifics

Do note that this data comes from the CPAP and is only reported by OSCAR
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reliability of Minute Ventilation Measurement
Thanks for the prompt reply, Gideon. BTW, I have a Resmed 10 Airsense Autoset for about a year now. At one stage, I was worried about my lower than average Tidal Volume and Minute Vent, until I figured out what was going on - an overnight pulse oximeter (wellue ring) helped to confirm it. I still have to solve the mouth breathing issue though. The obvious solutions such as full face mask and/or mouth taping would probably necessitate shaving my almost 50 y/o beard which I am reluctant to do!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 210 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 236 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 508 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  LEAKS and their measurement. dataq1 5 470 01-13-2024, 01:15 PM
  Adaptive servo-ventilation unit vs APAP Comfortcomposites 9 567 12-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 751 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 423 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.