Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Ultra Mirage
Humidifier: PR System ONe
CPAP Pressure: 8-20
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: metformin
I'm on both Metformin and 70/30 insulin (5 units x2 daily). Going without Metformin can be very trying...
06-13-2015 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

(06-12-2015 11:19 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Metformin did not level out my blood sugar enough. I continued to get the extreme drops. My highs got lower but the lows, wow. I was on Actos for a long time, which leveled me out nicely. I just switched to Victoza. The better my drops got, the higher my A1c got.

Remind me to ask you about your experience with Vitoza. Although my A1C is 5.8%, my GP wants me to consider it for weight loss.

FYI Novo Nordisk just received FDA approval to sell Victoza under the brand name Saxenda (with a new patent) for weight loss.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-13-2015 01:08 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I didn't think that 5.8% is diabetic
06-13-2015 01:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(06-13-2015 01:29 PM)me50 Wrote:  I didn't think that 5.8% is diabetic

That's 5.8% with medications. It's considered very good control.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-13-2015 02:31 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

Every few years, they change the explanation about how metformin works. It's baffling and I no longer care.

The trots and gas are common when you first start. It may continue depending on your dosage. After about a year, I had a lot of gut pain and switched to extended release. That works great. No more problems except when I have to discontinue and restart. Can't use metformin with certain medication and when you are in the hospital, they give you insulin instead.

Unless you are not eating, metformin is not going to give you problems with lows like insulin or other meds might. That is one of the reasons why it is the first line medication for diabetes. It's wise to check your blood sugar more often in the days following say a surgery or other period where you aren't eating much food, but unless your doctor has told you otherwise, you can continue to take metformin.

As to metformin AND insulin, yes, that is actually not rare, although I've never had to do it. My brother did for a couple of years. They took him off metformin when he started using a medication that was contraindicated for it, and just does insulin now.
06-13-2015 02:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Metformin should be discontinued before a CT with Iodine Contrast Media.
If that's not possible then they should use a different (more expensive) contrast media.
Be sure all healthcare providers know if you happen to be a person who is using Metformin.

06-13-2015 05:19 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Sex: Female

True, Mongo. They are very good about addressing metformin and contrast dyes in my health system. I had lots of MRIs and CT scans last year with contrast and while one just told me not to take metformin after 3 or 4 days, the others required a blood test (kidney function, I think) before I could take it again. But it is a good reminder to mention that you take metformin if no discussion has come up about it.
06-13-2015 07:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(06-13-2015 07:32 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  True, Mongo. They are very good about addressing metformin and contrast dyes in my health system. I had lots of MRIs and CT scans last year with contrast and while one just told me not to take metformin after 3 or 4 days, the others required a blood test (kidney function, I think) before I could take it again. But it is a good reminder to mention that you take metformin if no discussion has come up about it.

Yes, they check serum Creatinine levels which is an indicator of renal function.

06-13-2015 09:07 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I wonder if any of you controlled it without metformin, any meds and without insulin at some point by controlling the foods you ate. It seems like everything has carbs in it. Even organic black beans that I thought would be good has carbs in it. We are trying to find ways to help a teenager with a weight problem (17 and over 300 lbs. and both parents were diabetics). I know that there are good carbs and bad carbs but I read to stay away from fruit, carrots, beets and other things that our family like.
06-13-2015 09:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

(06-13-2015 09:55 PM)me50 Wrote:  I wonder if any of you controlled it without metformin, any meds and without insulin at some point by controlling the foods you ate. It seems like everything has carbs in it. Even organic black beans that I thought would be good has carbs in it. We are trying to find ways to help a teenager with a weight problem (17 and over 300 lbs. and both parents were diabetics). I know that there are good carbs and bad carbs but I read to stay away from fruit, carrots, beets and other things that our family like.

For me, it's all about exercise. I am around 330, and in 2013 I rode a bit over 4,000 miles, and my A1C was 5.4 with no Type 2 meds. In 2014, I rode zero miles (due to multiple surgeries and my A1C started to slowly climb, Jan '15 my A1C was 7.2 and was put back on Metformin 500mg ER, and my June '15 A1C was 5.8 (and I just now started riding again) - anyhow, for me it was more about exercise than weight loss, my drop from 409 down to 325 did not help my A1C, but the riding sure does.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
06-14-2015 01:01 AM