Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Symptoms] I finally feel rested - some tips
I finally feel rested - some tips
After a whole month of CPAP with seemingly no improvement in my symptoms, I finally can say that I feel rested. No, I don't wake up wanting to jump out of bed full of energy (I don't think people without sleep apnea are like this either), but once I wake up and do get into my morning routine I feel very refreshed and energised ready to seize the day! This is despite of a very stressful work-week. At the end of the day I'm still fully awake!! Here are some tips that may be helpful:

- Try to allow for full 8 hours of sleep. For example if you want to wake up at 6 AM this means you need to be asleep by 10. If it takes you at least half an hour to fall asleep, then you need to be in bed by 9:30. Stick to this routine especially if you have just started CPAP.

- Minimize coffee intake. This was the key! They say it takes 8 hours for the effect of caffeine to wear off, but I used to have at least 2-3 cups before lunch so I think the caffeine stayed in my body for much longer, interrupting my sleep patterns. I still had zombie like days even after starting CPAP and I'm sure coffee was the culprit. I'm not saying quit coffee, but less is definitely more! I find that other high caffeine drinks such as black tea doesn't quite have the same effect.

- I still wake up in the middle of the night, but my AHIs are really low, going as low as 0.9 and no higher than 1.3 some days. I think my brain simply hasn't adjusted and is still used to waking up at night. For the past 2 days I've been waking up "in the middle of the night" later and later. This is a good sign.

Well that's it from me. Any questions feel free to ask.
AHI of <5 since starting CPAP. Lowest recorded AHI is 0.9!!!

Sleep-well
Sleep apnea, we will beat you!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I finally feel rested - some tips
Great Job Aussiefilo,
I had to do the same thing when I started CPAP, because prior I was not sleeping much, maybe 2 to 3 hours a night. So I deceided to go to bed at 10 and I wake up by 6 or 7.
It makes a big difference in how you feel if you can get your sleep habits in order!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well said, aussiefilo. Eight is great! I still have a couple of cups of coffee with breakfast, but after that, I've switched to Yerba Mate, in tea bags at work and sometimes even in a traditional gourd with bomilla on Saturday. It has caffeine like coffee (as well as the euphoric phenylethylamine of dark chocolate) but the slower absorption leaves me less jittery and better able to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips! I am just now one month into CPAP and I defintiely am much more awake! I usually go to bed at 8-9pm and get up at 4-5am. But sometimes I have problems waking up at 1am or so. So based on your post here, I am going to limit my caffeine to mornings only and see if this improves things... thanks!
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 194 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,352 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.