Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

modernsportscar - Therapy Thread
modernsportscar - Therapy Thread

After years of trying and failing with my BiPAP, last night I got my first ~8 hours of sleep and the results seem quite 'good' (either fortunately or unfortunately because I'm still exhausted and the goal is to feel well-rested, not lower my AHI, but I digress). 

Obviously, my AHI is very low. I seem to recall people discussing some sort of curve as being desirable. I will search previous posts. In the meantime, is there anything about this data that stands out to you? 

My diagnosis a few years ago was UARS (three previous studies showed AHI ~4.5-4.8 with RDI closer to 40--as in RERAs, etc., per hour). Since then, I've been working hard with myofascial exercises. Not sure if that's helped or what. 

The spike around 8 am was me getting up to use the restroom.

Thanks in advance for any insights at all.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My First Ever Night (~8 hours) Of Data. Help Me Briefly Interpret?
With your Philips Dreamstation BiPAP Auto at EPAP min 4.0, IPAP max 15.0, PS 2.0-6.0 you had extremely good results with only one OA and 2 H events. The machine never really moved off minimum EPAP pressure, and the algorithm of the BiPAP occasionally tested the 4 cm PS, but nothing very eventful there. I assume this was pretty comfortable, and the only change I would suggest is to tighten the pressure support range to be minimum 3.0 and maximum 4.0. Experiment with the BiFlex setting to see what feels best to you. I always preferred BiFlex 2 or even 1 to the 3 setting which felt "off" for me.

There just isn't much to critique here other than from 03:45 to 04:15 the expiratory flow seems to be missing (bottom half of the flow rate chart). That suggests you may have been exhaling orally and inhaling nasal. Other than that, turn off the Ramp. You don't need it at these pressures and the machine won't record events during ramp. There are some pretty high flow anomalies during ramp that are probably just deeper breathing as you settle in.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, forgot to mention that heart rate is significantly more stable using BiPAP. 

However, my blood 02 level last night wasn’t improved over previous nights (as measured by Apple Watch, which I know isn’t accurate and I’m only using previous data as a kind of baseline rather than a precise measurement). In fact, it was down 1% (to 93%).
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you will find the increase in minimum PS to be helpful, and you may even like using PS 4.0 as a minimum and maximum setting. Pressure support is what really sets the performance of BiPAP apart and can overcome upper airway resistance and related RERA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will make these adjustments tonight. : )
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also add that if this has been a longstanding issue, then it might take a good few nights of solid sleep before you start to really feel better. Glad to see things seem to be heading the right way for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
After learning more about flow limitations, UARS, and reading some other threads, I’ve been looking more closely at my breathing. 

I just picked this sample randomly (I’m assuming it more or less represents how I normally breathe—I’d go look but I can’t access my PC at the moment). 

Does this look ‘normal’? Because compared to another I just saw, it doesn’t appear so.

Post Reply Post Reply
Post another view, decrease the duration to 4 minutes and replace pressure with mask pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
To start with what pap machine are you using?

Why are there 8 1 hour session?  From the information in the left column you are using ramp of 30 minutes. If that is true and you have 8 sessions it would meaa as n you had 8 ramps each 30 minutes. In other words 4 hours of ramp time???  Durango you are not getting therapy!

Maybe I have read your information incorrectly but if not you need to turn the ramp off
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, to clarify: EDS = excessive daytime sleepiness.

As far as ramp time and sessions, that was just yesterday as I was testing a new mask.

Here is a 4-minute zoom--however, I don't see a setting for 'Mask Pressure' specifically.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 11 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 149 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 248 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,258 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,330 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.