Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mold [in basement]
RE: mold [in basement]
You may need a professional. There are several kinds of mold that might occur in a wet basement, and some mycotoxins remain dangerous even when they are dried out and dead.

Cleaning by professionals is expensive, and even if it's advisable, you might not think of it as an available option. I don't. But if you're going to deal with it yourself, get a good mask. A simple dust filter won't be adequate. And be prepared to spend a lot of time and effort--turning a wet, moldy basement into a clean dry basement is a really big job.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: mold [in basement]
here's an update on my basement mold problem.

thanks everybody for your thoughtful responses. thankfully, my issues are/were not as complex as some of situations your good advice applies to.

my leak was my fault for not gluing together lengths of 4" pipe that removes rainwater from a downspout, along the foundation under a wrap around porch, and around the house to a french drain in the yard on the opposite side of the house. after several years, I suspect vibration from a nearby washing machine and walking on the porch above the pipes shook 3 joints apart at the beginning of the run. we get a lot of military helicopter activity low overhead that rattle and shake the house, so that might have been a factor too. IDK, maybe it was just the dog or some other critter. the one other time it leaked through that foundation wall was after I stupidly and somewhat carelessly powerwashed the porch deck and house siding above that foundation wall. the point being that my leakage problems were pretty much of my own making and easily avoidable.

I found that dept of health type websites are pretty uniform in describing chlorox as good on nonporous surfaces but ineffective against mold on/in porous surfaces like a rough concrete floor & wood framing. of course drywall isn't worth salvaging. so I used a borax solution that's supposed to be one of the most effective mold killers, inexpensive and easy to apply, works on porous and nonporous surfaces and also is the least toxic and odorous - important to me in an enclosed closet with limited headspace and 3 turns under the basement stairwell.

about all I can do now short of hiring a remediator is keep my fingers crossed that as long as I can keep the area dry there won't be any residual health effects. I haven't yet heard that mold can cause or exacerbate my apnea or periodic leg movement problems but haha wouldn't that be ironic.

now to read up on replacing roof, windows, deck more than 3' above grade (above daylight basement) and some siding. oh the moneypit joys of home ownership!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.