Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mouth breather - lost weight
mouth breather - lost weight
I've been using cpap with a full face mask for about 6 months. I didn't seem to have a problem with mouth breathing during this time (AHI about 1.5-2 average), but I recently lost about 15 pounds and was experiencing leaks with my medium size mask.  I received a smaller size face mask from my medical supply place (they said it was a much better fit), but I've since then been experiencing higher numbers, like 5 last night, and a very dry mouth from mouth breathing. Could be spring allergies making it hard to breathe through my nose... or maybe the smaller size mask is making me mouth breathe?

Any advice for eliminating mouth breathing once and for all while wearing a full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mouth breather - lost weight
You mentioned that 'they' said the new smaller mask was a better fit, but what's your opinion on that? Do you think you were better off with the original size? Do you still have the first mask that you could try it for a night again and see how your numbers are the next day?
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Get yourself a P10, join the rest of us "mouth breathers" that aren't and can now breathe through a nights sleep and be happy.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the Mask Primer (see my signature), there is a lot of info on fitting masks and mouth breathing in there
Find the manufactures video for fitting the mask you are having the issue with.
Post Reply Post Reply
One person reported that using an adult pacifier (yep, they are real thing) helped him to not mouth breathe.  It would work under a similar principle to the mouth guard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2017, 08:52 PM)chill Wrote: One person reported that using an adult pacifier (yep, they are real thing) helped him to not mouth breathe.  It would work under a similar principle to the mouth guard.

I bet you wont find that in the cpap store.... lol.

Sorry couldn't resist.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many ways to manage mouth breathing, a full face mask is only one.
Read the Mask Primer in my signature.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 9 53 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 271 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.