Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

mouthbreather narrow FFM?
mouthbreather narrow FFM?
Howdy all,

I've recently started my cpap therapy and am attempting to use an AirFit F10 full face mask. According to the template, I needed a size Large - but it had major leaks around the nose and mouth when my mouth would open. It was sitting on my cheekbones and never could be tightened down enough to eliminate the leaks.

Viewing the F10 fitting videos, my large was too big for my face.

I changed to a size medium and it is much improved, but still is resting on my cheekbones and is causing some nose and mouth leaks. I can tighten it down to eliminate most leaks - but it gets very tight on my cheekbones.

Is there a FFM mask that is narrow enough to "hug" my nose, fitting between my cheekbones?

I am tempted to try a size small F10, but am afraid it will be too small in the vertical direction. Does anyone know how "tall" it is versus the medium?

Thanks!
Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mouthbreather narrow FFM?
Hi simanco,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that works for you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that Philips Respironics masks are generally more narrow then the Resmed masks. I must have a wider mouth and when I try the Philips Respironics I get leaks from the corner of my mouth. This does not happen with the Resmed masks. I use the F10.

Hope that helps, Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got all 3 sizes of F10 masks. I started with L, then went to M, then went to S. I was falsely applying the ResMed template. Anyway, I found I could never get a shaped good fit so I went with the P10 and have been happy. When using the ResMed template, the bottom of the template has to be between the bottom lip and the chin crease I think. If you're finding the M is still not that great, I have a feeling that a S is not going to suddenly become a perfect mask for you. One day, I'll turn my S M & L into a piece of art for all that's worth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Prominent cheekbones are a problem with masks and it can be even worse if you have a deeply recessed nasal bridge. I do not think that they make them much narrower at the cheekbones than the F10 (my gut feeling).

I would recommend the F&P Simplus to you if you are going to stay with an FFM. I have the prominent cheekbones and the deeply recessed nasal bridge and the Simplus works fairly well for me. The Resmed Mirage Quattro actually works the best for me but I have to have it strapped pretty tight and that makes it quite tight across the cheekbones. Another reason that it must be strapped tightly is my pressure which is 20 cm/H2O

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The Simplus is the only one that doesn't leak at the top for me. I tried the Air and the Quattro. The good thing about the Simplus is if one size doesn't fit, all you need is a different sized cushion, not a whole new mask. The size difference is in height from nose to chin and not width. I use the small so I can wear it fairly low.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe the ResMed F30 would work for you? It's a hybrid mask, so it doesn't have to fit around the cheeks, just below the nose.

We're having a problem fitting a narrow chin with a long face, so I'm going to post separately about that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Watchpat suggests UARS after years of suffering. Narrow airway? Rebdr 4 714 10-16-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
  Full mask for narrow face Palmtrees 0 323 10-09-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  mask for long narrow face? (mouth breather) onlyconnect 0 424 11-08-2021, 06:33 AM
Last Post: onlyconnect
  narrow vs wide range apap ewags 4 1,423 02-25-2020, 02:53 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Trying to narrow in on optimal settings CPAPUserDave 26 3,236 07-03-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: CPAPUserDave
  mouthbreather, can you help to interprete? christian4870 4 1,214 11-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: christian4870
  Mouthbreather, Taping Security item christian4870 1 967 11-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Last Post: silversnore

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.