Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

my contribution to "leak day"
my contribution to "leak day"
I see there are lots of leak problems posted. I might as well add mine.
After several months on cpap I have come to the end of my efforts to control leaks. First there was the nasal mask and huge leaks. I changed to nasal pillow and the leaks were reduced dramatically but still more than sleepyhead liked. Every morning I would have smiley faces but also a message that I had too many leaks and should contact my . CPAP advisor.

So I studied this forum extensively and tried one after another of the suggestions I found. Chin strap. Not helping. Taping the mouth, plus chinstrap. No deal. A week ago I started using soft cervical collar and taping mouth. Now that looks much better to me as far as the numbers go, but Sleepyhead still says I am having excessive leaks and should contact my CPAP advisor.

Well, you are "IT". So what do you suggest? Do you think that I am really having excessive leaks? Here are some numbers for you:

[attachment=2294]
[attachment=2296]

Thanks for your help.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: my contribution to "leak day"
Do you have excessive leaks, I would say it could be better. Are they messing up your therapy, perhaps not perfect but I also don't see a huge problem.

My guess is that if you went back to your provider they would give you a full face mask. Have you tried one? So many different kinds, I really like the one I use-no sores on the bridge of my nose and nothing covering my nose Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2016, 10:12 AM)Inspired Wrote: I see there are lots of leak problems posted. I might as well add mine.
After several months on cpap I have come to the end of my efforts to control leaks. First there was the nasal mask and huge leaks. I changed to nasal pillow and the leaks were reduced dramatically but still more than sleepyhead liked. Every morning I would have smiley faces but also a message that I had too many leaks and should contact my . CPAP advisor.

So I studied this forum extensively and tried one after another of the suggestions I found. Chin strap. Not helping. Taping the mouth, plus chinstrap. No deal. A week ago I started using soft cervical collar and taping mouth. Now that looks much better to me as far as the numbers go, but Sleepyhead still says I am having excessive leaks and should contact my CPAP advisor.

Well, you are "IT". So what do you suggest? Do you think that I am really having excessive leaks? Here are some numbers for you:

Thanks for your help.

Also, why are my attachments so small that they are unreadable, after I reduce their size in order to be below the 600 kb maximum allowed?

Oh-jeez
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Pool. I am hoping to avoid FFM if at all posslble. In the end I may have to try is though.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2016, 10:30 AM)Inspired Wrote: Also, why are my attachments so small that they are unreadable, after I reduce their size in order to be below the 600 kb maximum allowed?

You can click on the attachments and they will open up in normal size. Once you do that, you can see the URL (web address) of where the attachment actually is, and then edit your post and put the URL in between two image tags like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?aid=2294[/img]

This way, your attached pictures will show full size in the post automatically, without the need to click on them.

Or, an even better way is to host the files outside of Apnea Board (this is preferred), using a free image hosting website like imgur.

Here's some directions for using imgur:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, Supersleeper.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin straps look deceivingly simple and straight forward. My experience with chin straps was difficult until I started questioning a few things. First, just getting your mouth to stay closed is not sufficient. You must get the tongue seal to work for you. The chin strap needs to help you to maintain that during sleep. Using a chinstrap that merely cups the chin did not work for me. It kept my mouth closed but did not prevent the mouth leakage (chipmunk cheeks).

I finally went with a 3" wide chinstrap with no chin cup and fitted it under my jaw from the chin to the neck. I needed a strap to go around the back of my head to keep it from coming off through the night. From the first night I tried this it corrected my problem enough that I no longer suffer dry mouth with my FFM. My feeling is that with this type of chin strap fitted in this manner the slight pressure on the soft fleshy area under the jaw helps to remind the tongue to stay up against the roof of the mouth. Anyway, that is my story and I am sticking to it.

As far as FFMs are concerned, they get an unnecessarily bad rap from some of the people who have tried them and can not get them to work. It could be the mask or could be the person. Who knows? The full face mask solved a lot of problems for me the majority of which were leaks. Yes you may have to work a little harder initially to tame the leaks and you may not be able to use any old FFM. I would recommend the F&P Simplus or the Resmed Mirage Quattro as being the most adjustable to different facial configurations. What works the best for me so far is the Mirage Quattro with the Simplus running a close second. The Mirage Quattro, once you get it set up properly and the head gear has slowed its permanent stretch can be just put on and you are good to go. No muss, no fuss, no having to adjust the fit every time that you put it on.

Try it or as the P10 cult ( Big Grin Big Grin ) is fond of saying, "Resistance is futile".

Hot dog BananaBananaBananaBananaBananaBanana finally got a chance to say that. DielaughingOh-jeez

Inside joke!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
i miss the good old days where leaks were spelt differently and were something i tended to in the ground before eating.

My experience is somewhat similar to PaytonA. Getting a chin strap to work with my FFM has enabled me to start controlling the leak beast. It's been a tedious process but well worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience has been much the same as PaytonA and Gyddyup. I found by using an adjustable chin strap I could get enough tension on the strap behind the head to help keep the strap from slipping around while not pulling the chin back and was able to adjust the top strap just enough to help me hold my mouth closed. I was finally able to control mask leaks with my FFM.

I have since moved to Nuance nasal pillows and I can see a P10 in my near future because as they say, "Resistance is futile!". Laugh-a-lot
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 19 2 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 150 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.