Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

my first night of sleephead data
my first night of sleephead data
[attachment=10315]
image attached, i went through the guide and setup the screen to show the most important date.

Can someone give me an overview of what i am looking at?

Probably not the best data to be reviewing because i feel like i did not sleep at all since my wife was up sick all night.

What are my goals for some of these numbers? Should they all be low?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: my first night of sleephead data
G'day Fiddy.

Yes, you had a very disturbed night, so a lot of the recorded time was possibly while you were either awake or transitioning back to sleep. However, for the time you were asleep you had a really good result. The main measure is the AHI (apnea-hypopnea index) which in your case was near enough to zero. Anything under 5 is regarded as clinically treated, so that's a great outcome. (Realistically we try to get the AHI as low as possible and many people can keep it under 1 or 2 on a consistent basis).

The other things to look out for are leaks (under control), snore (likewise) and flow limitations (ditto).

It seems on the basis of one night that you're going to do well at this. The question now is "how do you feel?" Despite all the disturbance, do you feel you got a restful sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel pretty good, the main reason i got the machine was to stop my snoring as it was getting out of control. I was sleeping in the living room down stairs and my wife said she could hear me through a closed door and with ear phones on.

I did not get wacked for snoring last night, but she was puking her brains out the entire night so may not have been bothered to hit me when i was snoring.

So the blips on the snore chart.... was i actually snoring or did it sense i WOULD have been snoring if the machine was not forcing air into my nose?

Snoring is the thing i am trying to cure in my case, i am not sure that i actaully have apnea where i stop breathing, i just snore very loudly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those blips are actual recorded snores but they are only transient just lasting a few moments. Your excellent AH I was achieved at a low pressure so it might be you don't actually have apnea. I don't recall if you had a sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 08:07 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Those blips are actual recorded snores but they are only transient just lasting a few moments. Your excellent AH I was achieved at a low pressure so it might be you don't actually have apnea. I don't recall if you had a sleep study?

I have not been tested for apnea, i got the machine because of my snoring. Usually when i fall into deep sleep is when i snore bad and i dont think that happened last night, lets see what a few more nights data looks like.

Is a cpap not a viable solution for stopping snoring?
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Is a cpap not a viable solution for stopping snoring?

Heavy snoring is often associated with obstructive apnea. CPAP is the gold standard for treating obstructive apnea and if it takes care of your snoring then I don't see why you can't use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2019, 08:10 AM)Fiddy Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 08:07 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Those blips are actual recorded snores but they are only transient just lasting a few moments. Your excellent AH I was achieved at a low pressure so it might be you don't actually have apnea. I don't recall if you had a sleep study?

I have not been tested for apnea, i got the machine because of my snoring. Usually when i fall into deep sleep is when i snore bad and i dont think that happened last night, lets see what a few more nights data looks like.

Is a cpap not a viable solution for stopping snoring?

I do have apnea and have used a machine for about 8 years with good results.  I aim for 7 hours at AHI under 3 and usually get about that amount of sleep with AHI readings of under 1. I don't fuss much about all the other numbers as, if I feel good when I wake up and can get on with my day, that's all I need to know.

However, if you want to stop the snoring, I can highly recommend the chin strap you will find here:
Commercial link removed, instead search Amazon in Canada for Deluxe Chin Strap III
B006O8N3L0

It's a little more expensive than the non-adjustable ones, but I can assure you it's well worth the extra.  I have a large head and being able to adjust the straps makes a difference to the comfort and fit.  I wanted to prevent the dry mouth I was experiencing as a result of snoring (there'usually no-one else here to care whether I snore or not but when I do have visitors they are quick to remind me I still snore!) and I've had mine for about a month now and the results are more than satisfactory.  It takes a moment or two to tweak the Velcro straps into a comfortable position but once in place, it stays put all night, is soft, comfortable and does exactly what I wanted it to do.

I put my CPAP gear on first, thread the chin strap under and over it fix the top straps, then the nape straps and then do a final tweak on the top straps and that's it.  You may find you won't need to use the CPAP machine once you get used to wearing the chin strap.  

I also reckon, if anyone ever breaks into my apartment, creeps into my room and I turn over - there will be one terrified burglar tearing away screaming Shock- a beautiful sight I may not be with all the head gear I have on but it all works and at nearly 80 I'm still fully functionally and enjoying life - and what more do we need!

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people feel air starved with the minimum setting at 4 cm. You could try to set your min. pressure at 6 or 7 cm & see if you like 

it better & it could help to get rid of some more snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the advice so far!

Bumped my machine up to 5 last night, and will try 6 tonight. Was much easier to breath and now i understand what the "starved for air" thing is on the low settings.

Looks like i slept through most of the night, and had a few apnea blips. Also noticed the pressure got much higher tonight than it did the night before.

No snoring tho so looks like this will take care of my snoring issue, just need to get used to the mask now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 143 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,558 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  My first full night of OSCAR data. How am I looking? frigid 6 789 08-18-2023, 02:28 PM
Last Post: frigid
  No SD Card anyway to get last night's data jerrykur 2 467 08-01-2023, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jerrykur
  [Diagnosis] Last Night's Data arkona12 0 294 07-31-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: arkona12
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Record full night of SpO2 data from smartwatches ? BillSteamshovel 4 583 06-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.