Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nasal Pillows
nasal Pillows
I have read previously that nasal pillows can and have created dental problems with some users. Is there any facts to bare that out?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nasal Pillows
Welcome to Apnea Board. I haven't heard of nasal pillows causing dental problems. I think it would be more likely to occur with a full face mask worn too tight, but I don't have any actual evidence of that either.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2015, 06:39 PM)minutia101 Wrote: I have read previously that nasal pillows can and have created dental problems with some users. Is there any facts to bare that out?

Agree with DeepBreathing. I've not heard of nasal pillows directly causing dental problems. The only problem I can see is if you are mouth breathing while using the nasal pillows, then the air is forced out of your mouth and causes a very dry mouth to the point of waking you up. I don't know that this would affect or cause dental problems if you let that go on without trying to correct mouth breathing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you're on to something there Opal Rose. My dental therapist is always on about dry mouth being conducive to caries bacteria. Perhaps that is what Minutiae is referring to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2015, 08:41 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I think you're on to something there Opal Rose. My dental therapist is always on about dry mouth being conducive to caries bacteria. Perhaps that is what Minutiae is referring to.

I recently had this conversation with my dentist. He advised me to watch for mouth breathing while using CPAP, and said if it occurred frequently, it could affect gum tissue, which in time could affect your teeth.

If I wake up due to mouth breathing (doesn't happen much anymore), :grin:
I rinse my mouth with either Biotene or Act Mouthwash for dry mouth.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,752 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 315 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 387 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.