Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nasal congestion with cpap
nasal congestion with cpap
Can i use my cpap with a clogged nose?Dont-know
Its been 2 days im not using my cpap because of my clogged nose
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nasal congestion with cpap
Need some serious help here
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I use mine with I have a cold, sinus, etc. Crank the humidity up (if you have a climateline hose set to AUTO) and use sleepyhead to make sure you're getting the right amount of pressure (set the upper limit higher if needed). I find that the humidity and the added pressure actually can clear the block.
Post Reply Post Reply
There seems to be some confusion on the forums as to humidity settings.

I'd also recommend cranking up humidity, and to maximum. In my laymen's opinion, it comes a bit closer to being the warm steam in the shower. It is now my custom and practice to set humidity to '4' or '5', the maximum on my machine, no matter if I have nasal symptoms or not.

Without nasal symptoms, and with lower humidity, say a setting of '1' or '2', I would awaken feeling 'dry' and somewhat 'dehydrated'. I'd have to gulp down 16 to 32 oz. water upon arising. This does not seem to be an issue any more.

Also, with your clogging you might want to set EPR to maximum, usually '3' (for a while), to exhale through your nose more easily.

YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity can work both ways. In some people it makes congestion worse, while others feel an improvement.

I use nasal pillows and find CPAP pressure helps greatly to open my nasal passages and sinuses when I have a cold or allergy attack. I recommend you just try it. Having positive air pressure should do nothing to make congestion worse, and I have always found it improves things to 'best breathing of the day'.

Since you use a nasal mask, you might want to try out nasal pillows sometime. They are lighter and do not impose pressure on the bridge or sides of your nose that may aggravate sinus congestion.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2015, 11:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Humidity can work both ways. In some people it makes congestion worse, while others feel an improvement.

I use nasal pillows and find CPAP pressure helps greatly to open my nasal passages and sinuses when I have a cold or allergy attack. I recommend you just try it. Having positive air pressure should do nothing to make congestion worse, and I have always found it improves things to 'best breathing of the day'.

Since you use a nasal mask, you might want to try out nasal pillows sometime. They are lighter and do not impose pressure on the bridge or sides of your nose that may aggravate sinus congestion.

+100

I concur with all the points made by sleep rider. It has been my experience as well with P10 nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2015, 10:11 AM)zhentrixcalipso Wrote: Can i use my cpap with a clogged nose?Dont-know
Its been 2 days im not using my cpap because of my clogged nose
Full face mask works, you can breathe through your mouth as well and does not rely on breathing through your nose much

4. Dry, stuffy nose http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users
A CPAP device that features a heated humidifier, which attaches to the air pressure machine, can help. The level of humidification is adjustable. Using a nasal saline spray at bedtime also can help. Your doctor may prescribe a nasal steroid spray if your dryness doesn't respond to heated humidity. It's also important that your mask fit well. A leaky mask can dry out your nose.

Not using CPAP is not an option, followup with your GP, might refer you to ENT and prescribe some nasal sprays, there are OTC decongestants but not recommended for more 3 days because of the rebounding effects

I find using the humidifier helps, one need to do some experimenting with humidity levels to figure the right level for them, everyone is different

Your profile shows "Humidifier: unsure", "CPAP Pressure: 2", and the machine listed "Remstar mplus series"
The machine been discontinued some time ago, and does not report any useful data, such as AHI and leaks which are important to evaluate how the therapy is working or effectiveness. 4 is the lowest CPAP pressure, does 2 refer to Flex level,

Saline sinus rinse is godsend for stuffy noses, clean the nose and make breathing through the nose a breathe

Last but not least, pay attention to clean the water chamber, hoses, masks, and replacing the filter whenever get dirty

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the answers guys!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Can't get to the bottom of my congestion. Yeliad 1 159 9 hours ago
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 196 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 423 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 941 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 734 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 404 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose Pillow with congestion SleepSundogSleep 3 602 10-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SleepSundogSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.