Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nasal dryness -- heated tube help?
nasal dryness -- heated tube help?
I live in Colorado where it's very dry. After a week on the Aircurve 10 I'm having a lot of nasal dryness which I am pretty sure is causing OSAs and flow limitations. The default humidity was set to 4, I upped it to 5 but I only fill the chamber to the first line and water is still left in the morning. Would there be a problem in setting the humidity to the max? And/or would it help to get a heated tube?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nasal dryness -- heated tube help?
(04-17-2019, 11:46 AM)bemused Wrote: I live in Colorado where it's very dry. After a week on the Aircurve 10 I'm having a lot of nasal dryness which I am pretty sure is causing OSAs and flow limitations. The default humidity was set to 4, I upped it to 5 but I only fill the chamber to the first line and water is still left in the morning. Would there be a problem in setting the humidity to the max? And/or would it help to get a heated tube?

I have similar issues with low humidity here in eastern Washington. I use the Airsense 10 Autoset. I use the automatic setting and a heated tube and a tube cover. I use almost a full chamber of water each night. No rain out. When I have tried to use the manual setting on 5, I have had rain out. Automatic setting seems to work best. Same on the Dream Station.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try filling it up to max and turn the setting up, if that does not work you could try a heated hose, but cheapest option is to fill the humidifier up to max and turn it up. If you do get rainout, turn it down a bit or get a cover for the hose.

I have my one on one from max and I am not in a dry country, in fact rain can be every day sometimes, but wait fove minutes and the sun comes out (sometimes).

Turn it up a bit every night until you get enough moisture or rainout. If rainout, turn it down slightly or get a cover or heated hose.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I went ahead and ordered the heated hose, with insurance it's $10 which isn't a deal breaker. Hopefully will do the trick.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
There's some misconception here, a heated hose will make the air drier, thus further exaggerating the problem. 
What you need to do is fill the humidifier up to max and setting the humidity to 8. If you wake up the next day with water in the hose you lower the setting to 7, but always fully fill the chamber.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2019, 01:40 AM)crowtor Wrote: There's some misconception here, a heated hose will make the air drier, thus further exaggerating the problem. 
What you need to do is fill the humidifier up to max and setting the humidity to 8. If you wake up the next day with water in the hose you lower the setting to 7, but always fully fill the chamber.

Normally yes, but it might allow the OP to increase the humidification without encountering rainout, espacially if the room temp is cool.

That said, one scenario where a heated tube definitely DOES make you dry is when you forget to fill the watertank and so breathe warm, dry air all night.

Don't ask me how I know this Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2019, 04:01 AM)StevesSp Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 01:40 AM)crowtor Wrote: There's some misconception here, a heated hose will make the air drier, thus further exaggerating the problem. 

Normally yes, but it might allow the OP to increase the humidification without encountering rainout, espacially if the room temp is cool.

That said, one scenario where a heated tube definitely DOES make you dry is when you forget to fill the watertank and so breathe warm, dry air all night.

Don't ask me how I know this Oh-jeez

I don't have to, It's how I wake up everyday, tank empty, desert throat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, last night I set the humidity to 6 and filled the chamber most of the way. Humidity-wise I was pretty comfortable, and the water level went down just by half. Guess I will keep experimenting and see what works best. Though when I ordered the heated tubing, the customer service rep said they sell a lot of them in Colorado, hardly any in more humid states.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 172 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 264 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 156 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 162 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 554 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 1,003 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Q-tube View 0 219 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.