Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nasal mask vs nose pillows
nasal mask vs nose pillows
What are the UPS and downs to each?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nasal mask vs nose pillows
I started with a Wisp nasal mask. ResMed Airfit P10 nasal pillow advocates here convinced me to try those after a couple of months. For me, there is no down side to them. With the mask, it would be fine when I put it on but as I deposited skin oils on it during the night, it started leaking. I wear reading glasses and any nasal mask will be a problem for that. I get a better fit. I sleep more. I don't get leaks. It's far more unobtrusive. I'll never wear a nasal mask again.

Your mileage may vary, of course
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2015, 03:26 AM)k_ogre Wrote: What are the UPS and downs to each?

Hi k_ogre,
I only tried a nasal mask during my two sleep studies, and that was enough to turn me away from them forever. They hurt the bridge of my nose, left terrible red marks and I ended up with a headache.
Oh-jeez

I have used a Nasal pillow mask now for almost 5 months, and although not perfect, it is the least intrusive mask to wear. Once you find the nasal pillow fit that is right for you, I don't see too many down sides.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried both the nasal mask and nasal pillows. While the nasal pillows were very light and comfortable the direct airflow would pop my mouth open during the night. With a nasal mask I never have mouth leaks, and to me they are just as comfortable as pillows once you get used to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi k_ogre,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Masks are such an individual thing. What I might like, you might not like, it's trial and error.
Some of us have had to try many different masks 'till we found the one that really works.
I like the P10 nasal pillows mask because it is very light and minimalist, but you might need something different.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with truetopath. I tried a couple of nasal pillow masks (P10 and Nuance). Neither worked out well. They were great if I slept on my back; horrible when I slept on my side. I'm using the Wisp now and it seems to be working out great. But, like they say, YMMV!
.....Have a blessed day!.....

Mike S
Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't use nasal masks because of my weird nose. They all leaked into my eyes. So I had to use nasal pillows. Since I didn't mouth breathe, it was silly not to use anything else.

But then about a year ago, I started lip leaking. No idea why. I tried two chin different chin straps and while one worked well, I hated it. It crossed the line for me in terms of tolerance for this "every dang night" thing. So I switched to a full face mask. Because they are bigger, I can pull it down lower and not have the leak at the top of my nose. Even then, I still have a problem with leaks there but most nights, they are minimal.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried both.

I got skin irritation with the nasal mask (which can be resolved by using a cream).

I prefer the nasal pillows. I feel free with them.

Headgear is very important though, you want to be able to finely adjust to ensure there are no leaks. I love the P10 mask. Don't like the headgear (too basic). You can get around it by making your own adjustments (extra straps) if needed.

I have to wear a chin strap with the nasal pillows. It's a bit of a pain, but on the other hand, with the P10, I can make it work like an extra piece of headgear to adjust matters.

I don't recall whether I needed a chin strap with the nasal mask. I don't see why there should be a difference between the two regarding mouth leaks (as neither covers the mouth). But perhaps there is (noticed another poster upstream commented it made a difference).

Best of luck, as stated: this is very personal, depends on the shape of your face, and minor differences can have a big effect. Getting it right is crucial and never give up improving on what works best for you till you feel you've got it right (wake up refreshed).

Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the P10 but have trouble getting enough air. I feel like I have to force both inhale and exhale. I love the head gear compared to the nasal masks and I would love the pillows to work but I end up taking the mask off after a few hours of feeling like I am suffocating.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you try the pillows again, increase the EPR on the machine. The P10 with its diffuser can make breathing out difficult for some people. Increasing the EPR (exhale relief), it helps with this a lot.

Another is if you have the ramp on, turn it off. This will help as well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,760 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.