Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nasal septum surgery - tidal volume
nasal septum surgery - tidal volume
My ENT told me I should make a nasal septum surgery, but i am rather unsure if this is a good idea. On the other side, my tidal volume is mostly at 400 ml, sometimes below about 380 ml. Do you think, that the AZV (tidal volume) would sustainable increase?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nasal septum surgery - tidal volume
I have had this surgery as have many others here.  To my knowledge, the main benefit is better airflow through the nose.  This may make a nasal mask or nasal pillows more comfortable to use.  That was my experience and it certainly helped with daytime breathing.  I am not aware of any connection between this surgery and tidal volume.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, what an experience.

The Oriental doctor told me, after receiving a sedative (probably Xanax as I recall) Then I heard some popping and snapping in my nose. "Now, very important Mr. xxxxxx, you cannot sneeze or blow your nose --- you could die." I said "really?" He said: "Yes, if you don't get to ER, you could bleed to death." I said "You don't have to tell me twice" and I was out of there.

Make sure you choose a week (the time you have to wear a bandage on you whole nose) where you will not be going many places. I didn't even want to go to the supermarket, I did not want to see anyone who knew me. I even missed church the next Sunday.

Anyway, I think it was worth it, I believe I could breath through my nose better (I am a nose breather at night), and never a mouth breather, so as far as my OSA, I believe it was a good decision for me. Good luck.
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply
Awake?!!?  Ugh.  I was out cold.  The dressing did not bother me, I am not that pretty to begin with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to say, that I am using a N20 nasal mask and I am taping (the only way for me to avoid large lecks), so that means, it is important for me to breath through my nose only...
Post Reply Post Reply
The surgery will improve the airflow through your nose. That may reduce or eliminate your brain's desire to open your mouth to breathe. If were me, I would have the surgery.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,161 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  tidal volume formula height/weight eok361 5 217 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 233 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 175 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 210 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,375 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.