Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nasal vs full face mask
nasal vs full face mask
i posted number of images in previous thread i started regarding high leaks with my resmed f30i full face mask.  Someone here recomended using nasal mask. so i switched to resmed n30i mask. so looking at attached images, is it mission accomplished? when i started on cpap  in may i was using n30i but respiratory therapist told me if i sleep with mouth open none of numbers are accurate. i do not know if i sleep with mouth open. but with nasal mask he told me if i wake up with dry mouth it means i sleep with mouth open. with nasal mask i would wake up with mouth dry most of the times. this is the reason i went to f30i which gave me huge number of leaks. today i did not wake up with dry mouth but most of water in humidifie was still there. so i am confused about my results last night

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nasal vs full face mask
Every mask as a leak rate and it is factored into the machine for giving you a leak rate. When you change masks types you need to change it on the machine so it can calculate the leak correctly. Did you change the type of mask on your machine?

The large leaks are on the chart as shaded in areas. You had a couple but not many and not long. That being said all leaks cause the therapy to be worse than without leaks. If the mask is correct on the machine then I think your leaks are ok but like most of us you need to try to stop as many as possible.

Also, If you put your mouse on the left side of the leak rate chart and right click a menu comes up. Choose dotted line and then leak rate upper threshold. That will put a line on the chart where the machine can not give therapy because of the leak. Again, it is not like an on off switch. If it is close to the line you are not getting as good therapy.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
yes i changed mak to nasal before i started using machine last night. i made chages to see threshold. see attached.
i dont understand how to interpret this

Post Reply Post Reply
You have zoomed in on a very small area of the chart. Click on the chart and then hold the down arrow down for a couple seconds it will zoom back out.

Use up arrow to zoom in. down arrow zoom out and the left and right to move that direction when zoomed in.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry, entire night attached. looks like i had about 20 minutes in total when machine was not working, correct?

Post Reply Post Reply
Now you can see the leaks to see if they are a problem. check the amount of leak and your events to see if the correlate. Like I said everyone needs to work on leaks.

Now you central are high, that happens a lot when you are first on pap therapy. A central is when you stop breathing for a period of time (10 sec or more) for really no reason (obstruction). It is like when you bind over to pick up something and hold your breath - that would be a central but this is when you are asleep. It can be intentional as when you roll over in bed or pull up the covers... So unless it continues after a few week nothing really to be concerned about.

On the second set of graphs, the flow limits are high also. To try to stop those I would rise my min to 10 and see how that works for you. That sounds high but your EPR is set at 3 so your min is min - epr = 7.
Post Reply Post Reply
can you clarify what should i look for as far as progress. is last night flow rate is better compared with preir night?  Additionally i had converstaion with respiratory therapist from my DME who reviewed my data using resmed software. please tell me if this makes sense. he agreed that i am doing better with nasal mask than full face mask. then i asked him question i been asking here and did not get answer. so if i am doing better with nasal mask how do i know if machine is actually working for me if i sleep with my mouth open. i have no idea if i sleep with mouth openned. He told me if my humidifier still has most of water i added prior to using machine and i dont have dry mouth when i wake up machine is working for me and i can trust numbers reported. he said if i sleep with mouth open enire night no matter how good numbers are, machine is useless. Does it make sense?

Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the second charts.  The flow limits have a lot of event not big but numerous. Your other graph of leak rate shows flat top for some time meaning mouth breathing. It is something to work on.
Post Reply Post Reply
so if i understand this correctly my goal is to have flow rate between 50 and - 50 and leak rate under threshold?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2020, 08:28 PM)Docpapnovice Wrote: so if i understand this correctly my goal is to have flow rate between 50 and - 50 and leak rate under threshold?

I was talking about flow limits, that is untimed event that is a lower level event. It usually not a problem but it can and does interrupt sleep if there are many close together. 

SEE SIGNATURE AT BOTTOM

The leaks are always something to look at, compare theleals with your events - do they correlate?  Leaks are not like a stop sign, anything under is compromising your therapy. If it is over the line the machines can’t “fix” the event. It may be a flow limit event instead of H or Ob.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 315 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,222 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 694 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.