Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nasal vs full face mask
RE: nasal vs full face mask
(10-07-2020, 08:50 AM)cpapnovice Wrote: i had ramp off and for the first time i felt  i was not starving for oxygen. i use resmed nasal mask n30i .  i wake up with headache.  I did not get a chance to read mask primer.  Mask leaks must be caused by me turning a lot.  should i should start taping mask to my face? i have some good tape that will not be difficult to remove. i know it is long process and not feeling sleepy in afternoon is my main marker of success. so far it is rare.

I don’t know of any tape  to try to tape the mask to your face. Tape is used by some to stop mouth leaks. Search the site for tape mouth and you will find some threads. 

You said you were using the n30i. I tried the same mask and could never get a good seal. Take a look at the P30i. It is the exact same frame and headgear the difference is the cushion. The n30i is a cradle while the p30i is a pillows mask. Good part of this you can use the 2 cushions on the same frame. The cost is 22$ on amazon. 

The pillows do stop most leaks from the mask but not mouth leaks it might be worth 20$ to see if it works better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
i will get p30i, design looks much better
Post Reply Post Reply
Just thought about something IF you order the P30i pillows - order the largest pillows you think will work. I bought a medium and it was to small - felt air starved.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
i am still on n30i. i used tape to secure nasal part of mask. i have tape used to secure plastic eye patch to face to protect eye after eye surgery. it appears to reduce leaks but i still woke up without mask. i try to secure mask in more places.  what i find strange is 1st hour of therapy. it takes me long time to fall asleep, i know i dont move when awake but machine.  oscar does not have option to ignore 1st hour. if it did my numbers would be lot worse. correct?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You charts look great  You had 3 centrals and only 1 H.  That is outstanding.  The centrals will continue off and on - that is what they do but you have almost all of the obstructive events controlled. We need to keep settings as they are for a while maybe 2 weeks, and then we will work on your flow limits... Flow limits are the mildest obstruction event.  They are not timed so one might only be a couple seconds and they don't mess with anything but getting a deep sleep.  

Flow limits are controlled by the EPR on your machine.  We need to raise it but that is what we lowered to help get rid of the centrals.  As I said we will let the centrals go away and  get your body used to therapy and then we can raise the EPR.

The only thing you want to keep working on is the leaks and you know that. Again, you are doing great and you will begin to feel better - give yourself time for the therapy to take hold.
Post Reply Post Reply
are centrals need to be at 0? used more surgical tape to secure mask

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
No, I have been on pap therapy for 30 years and still have some time to time.  Remember if you stop breathing (hold you breath) for 10 sec. it will show up as a central.  It can be turning over in bed.  So not to worry about them but you just need to get use to the air blowing (therapy)

More important is how you are starting to feel?  The night seems ok in  most respect but how you feel is important now.  As I said before you need to get use to this pressure.  The leaks are not terrible but still a problem.    And look at your chart "flow limit".  That needs to be decreased and we will try to do that once you are getting comfortable with your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
i do not feel any different, but unless i can reach 7 hours of sleep on cpap for entire month i am not going to concentrate on how i feel. I was told  n30i was designed for people that sleep on a side. i am guessing not enough air getting on sleeping side nostril as head pressing on headgear.  And it is compensated by more air on the other side.  But is it really best way to get enough air? I am dreading forcing myself to learn to sleep on my back
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that the p30i nose piece will help that.  but again, after all these years my main problem lies with leaks.  I have a p30i and my problem is mouth breathing - I have tried a strap, mouth guard, tape nothing has stopped them.  My last try is going to be the  knightbridge from supplier 37 on the suppliers list at the top of the page.

So all I can say is to keep trying I am.  The part of feeling better is important, a lot of people feel ok until they look at their charts and see they had leaks or events and don't really feel any different but let the chart tell them how they feel. Anyway,  we need to know how you really feel.

I added my chart on leaks, one is good tonights was bad.  I keep working on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
i think there is tiny improvement with feeling sleepy in afternoon
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,586 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.