Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need advice
need advice
Hello! I have a c pap and still have an AHI of 12 to 18! I have pressure of 10 and have another sleep study May 31. Have nasal mask and no leaks. Have chin strap and mouth is very dry during night. Humidifier is on 4 and does well. Sleep all night 7 - 8 hours a night. Not overweight. Any suggestions appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: need advice
Unless you are on some type of medication that dries your mouth, it shouldn't be getting dry with a nasal mask unless air is escaping out your mouth. Depending on the model of your machine you may just be able to look at the screen and see how much leak you are having. A Full Fask Mask may be in your near future.

Since you have another sleep study coming up, I wouldn't worry about making changes until then. Let them know about you having a dry mouth.

While a FFM may seem intimidating, you are going through the hastle of wearing CPAP but not getting the full benefit.
Post Reply Post Reply
HI LeeC,

Some more details would help in making suggestions.

In particular, a breakdown of your AHI could be helpful. It may be that the issue is more complex that 'straight-forward' Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA). There are some breathing issues that are not fixable with ordinary CPAP or APAP.

One thing that I can comment on though is that I find from my experience is that if I have a dry mouth then I have had a mouth leak through the night.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

David
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no leaks but AHI is still going up. Air I think is escaping through my mouth. Some nights are better than some. I stopped breathing in the original sleep study 29 times a hour. I take bacoflen for muscle spasms and wonder if med has any affect?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LeeC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap and see if that helps you to keep your mouth closed.
Sometimes meds can cause dry mouth, you might talk to your Dr. about that.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, but I use a chin strap but it doesn't help.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are breathing through your mouth, then you have leaks. You say you have no leaks. How do you know? Are you looking at the data? If so, then is the data set up to show all leaks or just unintentional leaks?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
On the cpap it shows no leaks on the computer. I assume no leaks. But my mouth is dry and the ahi is going up!
Post Reply Post Reply
You say you are taking Baclofen. Many meds can cause dry mouth. In Baclofen's case it can, but I think it's not supposed to be not all that common a side effect for it. Inanycase, I'm sure not the guy to help you if you're having medication issues.

But I can state that in my humble albeit uneducated opinion most complaints about dry mouth for us'ens that use cpap machines is we are breathing through our mouth. As a matter of fact, I had super dry mouth issues way before I started using a cpap machine. There are things you can squirt in your mouth before bedtime that help for a little while. But in the end the solution lies in eliminating the problem, which is mouth breathing. It says here you are using a nasal mask, and you mentioned you have used a chinstrap. Does your nose stay open and functional all night with the nasal mask? If so then perhaps all that is needed is to tweek the chinstrap a bit. Some of them pull back on the jaw while trying to keep the mouth shut which is just the opposite of what needs to be done. The idea is it should be comfortable, not tight, and just "encourage" the mouth to stay shut and the jaw to stay forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2014, 08:42 AM)LeeC Wrote: I have no leaks but AHI is still going up. Air I think is escaping through my mouth. Some nights are better than some. I stopped breathing in the original sleep study 29 times a hour. I take bacoflen for muscle spasms and wonder if med has any affect?
Tell the doctors at the sleep lab that you,re taking bacoflen
From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7758556
Because of the depressant effects of GABA on the central nervous system, we hypothesized that baclofen might aggravate sleep-disordered breathing in susceptible individuals by depressing central ventilatory drive, increasing upper airway obstruction and/or increasing the arousal threshold to apnoea.

Which Respironcis machine are you using
[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 849 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 783 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.