Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need help
Sad 
need help
how do I change the pressure on my resmed aircurve 10 s machine. I have followed all of the instructions on how to find the instructions. I keep arriving back at the same place. Any help would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: need help
You will need to request that manual by email. Follow the instructions on this page.

Quote:Send an email to: apneaboard@gmail.com and put "Setup Manual" (without the quotes) in the subject line. Then, let us know in the body of your email which of the listed manuals you would like us to email to you. It is best if you copy the exact manual name from the above list and paste it into your email to make sure you receive the correct manual.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joe. I've been gone for 10 minutes or so, and I notice that suddenly there are a bunch of new model numbers I have not heard of before.........

With yours, the first thing I'd want to know is if it is using the built in interface back to your supplier. If it is, then they may have to do the pressure changes for you because if you do it yourself, they may just simply undo it.

But as to how you do it, if your machine is like it's predecessors, you can hold down the "settings" button for a few seconds and the machine will enter the secret chamber don't let anyone in without the magic symbol section. In there, you can mod your pressure settings.

Do so gently. It is not a great idea to change anything more than a few points at a time. I see you're sitting on 19, which seems awfully high to me, so lowering it might be in order. But I don't really know that for sure because I don't know what your statistics are at this point.

So if my machine? I'd fool around until I got into the clinician menus, then poke around a bit to see what all is there. and, as I suspect might be the case, if I could not sleep with a pressure of 19, then I'd lower it a little bit. Say to 16. And try that for a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joe D,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and getting your pressure set.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2015, 10:39 AM)Joe D Wrote: how do I change the pressure on my resmed aircurve 10 s machine

Hi Joe D,

Welcome to the forum.

To access the Clinical Menu on a ResMed A10 AirSense or A10 AirCurve machine:
Press and hold simultaneously the dial button and the Home button for three or four seconds.
(The Home screen is displayed with an unlock icon in the top right corner of the screen.)

To exit the Clinical Menu:
1. Press and hold the dial and the Home button for three or four seconds.
2. Select Exit Clinical Menu from the Home screen.
Or, the device will automatically exit the Clinical Menu after 20 minutes of inactivity.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joe D,

Since your pressure setting is fairly high (your profile presently lists this as 19), and since high pressures often cause issues (such as excessive air-swallowing, increased inner eye pressures, increased inner ear pressures, increased force placed on the jaw and teeth during therapy, increased machine noise, increased bothersome mask leaking, etc), and since bi-level Auto machines tend to minimize treatment pressures (because they are able to raise the pressure adaptively and only as much as presently needed), and since it is likely that you have very recently received the machine, I suggest immediately returning the unit to the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) supplier and calling your doctor to request he/she prescribe settings for Minimum EPAP, Maximum IPAP and Pressure Support ("Preasure Support" is the name for the amount by which the pressure is increased during inhalation), so that your machine may be replaced with either the A10 AirCurve Auto model or else replaced with the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP Auto model with heated tube (DS760TS, if in USA). These are Auto bi-level machines, occupying the next step more capable than the "S" bi-level machine you are presently using.

A bi-level machine with Auto mode would use a minimum amount of EPAP (the pressure level used during exhalation) unless the machine senses higher EPAP pressure is needed, in which case it would raise the pressure only as high as needed to prevent Snore or Flow Limitation or hypopnea or obstructive apneas. (The pressure during inhalation is called IPAP and is always equal to whatever the EPAP pressure presently is, plus the Pressure Support.)

For example, if you were to take precautions to ensure you are never sleeping flat on your back, your pressure needs would likely be much lower, and if occasionally you were to roll into the "supine" position, the machine would likely automatically respond by raising the pressure as much as needed, but only while actually needed.

Your present machine cannot automatically adjust the therapy pressures, so usually doctors prescribe pressure settings which are permanently high, to cover the worst case high pressure needs.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the information I will do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2015, 02:38 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(01-13-2015, 10:39 AM)Joe D Wrote: how do I change the pressure on my resmed aircurve 10 s machine

Hi Joe D,

Welcome to the forum.

Press and hold simultaneously the dial button and the Home button for three or four seconds.
(The Home screen is displayed with an unlock icon in the top right corner of the screen.)

Or, the device will automatically exit the Clinical Menu after 20 minutes of inactivity.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
I tried this and it worked. The little lock showed up. I almost feel like a criminal or something.I 'm going to try this pressure for a few more nights and see how it goes. I have a lot to learn about all of this. Thank you for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2015, 03:13 PM)vsheline Wrote: Hi Joe D,

Since your pressure setting is fairly high (your profile presently lists this as 19), and since high pressures often cause issues (such as excessive air-swallowing, increased inner eye pressures, increased inner ear pressures, increased force placed on the jaw and teeth during therapy, increased machine noise, increased bothersome mask leaking, etc), and since bi-level Auto machines tend to minimize treatment pressures (because they are able to raise the pressure adaptively and only as much as presently needed), and since it is likely that you have very recently received the machine, I suggest immediately returning the unit to the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) supplier and calling your doctor to request he/she prescribe settings for Minimum EPAP, Maximum IPAP and Pressure Support ("Preasure Support" is the name for the amount by which the pressure is increased during inhalation), so that your machine may be replaced with either the A10 AirCurve Auto model or else replaced with the Philips Respironics System One BiPAP Auto model with heated tube (DS760TS, if in USA). These are Auto bi-level machines, occupying the next step more capable than the "S" bi-level machine you are presently using.

A bi-level machine with Auto mode would use a minimum amount of EPAP (the pressure level used during exhalation) unless the machine senses higher EPAP pressure is needed, in which case it would raise the pressure only as high as needed to prevent Snore or Flow Limitation or hypopnea or obstructive apneas. (The pressure during inhalation is called IPAP and is always equal to whatever the EPAP pressure presently is, plus the Pressure Support.)

For example, if you were to take precautions to ensure you are never sleeping flat on your back, your pressure needs would likely be much lower, and if occasionally you were to roll into the "supine" position, the machine would likely automatically respond by raising the pressure as much as needed, but only while actually needed.

Your present machine cannot automatically adjust the therapy pressures, so usually doctors prescribe pressure settings which are permanently high, to cover the worst case high pressure needs.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
That sounds like me (all of those symptoms). During my sleep study I must have rolled onto my back. The sound of a tea kettle whistling woke me up. I only snore on my back. The machine must have just kept raising the pressure until the mask seal let go. The bottom line is, if you can't sleep what's the use.

(01-13-2015, 02:38 PM)vsheline Wrote:

Hi Joe D,

Welcome to the forum.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
This worked thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2015, 04:14 PM)Joe D Wrote: That sounds like me (all of those symptoms). During my sleep study I must have rolled onto my back. The sound of a tea kettle whistling woke me up. I only snore on my back. The machine must have just kept raising the pressure until the mask seal let go. The bottom line is, if you can't sleep what's the use.

Hi Joe D,

How long have you had the A10 AirCurve S machine?

The longer you use it, the more difficult it may be to get it switched out for an Auto bi-level model.

If you have an old CPAP machine to use in the meantime, I suggest simply using the old machine, calling the doctor to request a bi-level Auto prescription, and returning the S machine.

The doctor may agree right away to change the prescription to one for an auto-titrating bi-level machine, but if not, then find out from your insurance company how long you would be able to continue using the present machine before a later change to an auto-titrating bi-level machine to enable you to better tolerate the therapy would not be covered.

Regarding insurance classification and reimbursement rates, the S bi-level models and the Auto bi-level models share the same machine classification and reimbursement rate, and usually the DME provider is not allowed to "up-charge" the patient to charge more for an Auto bi-level model versus an S bi-level model. Because dispensing an Auto bi-level may reduce the profit margin of the DME, sometimes the DME provider may falsely tell the patient that an Auto model is not covered by insurance.

If the prescription includes a pressure range (meaning, (1) a "Min EPAP" and (2) a "Max IPAP" which is greater than the Min EPAP plus the Pressure Support) then the DME provider can only dispense an auto-titrating bi-level machine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.