Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

need help finding right mask
need help finding right mask
Hi everybody!

So I'm a new CPAP user and have been struggling for weeks to find the right mask. The vendors here seem really fixated on the Fishel & Paykel Simplus mask, but it's not working for me. I've also tried the Amara View mask. The Amara View is the better of the two and I really like the lightweight design, but both put pressure points on my cheekbones so it takes forever for me to fall asleep and sometimes I just give up. I'm a small in both.

I've got an old Mirage Liberty as well which someone gave me. It's falling apart, but the design is better in that it doesn't put pressure on my cheekbones so I can fall asleep faster. The part that contacts my face touches just below my cheekbones, rather than right on it, which is good. The issue with the Mirage is sometimes the nose pillows pop out and they also tend to collect water.

I've tried a nasal mask as well, but keep opening my mouth. I can breathe through my nose, but not exclusively. It feels like I'm not getting enough air.

So what I want is a full face mask that is something between an Amara View and a Mirage Liberty. I'm wondering if there is such a thing? I'm pretty frustrated with the vendors here. They seem reluctant to try new masks. I'm 100% willing to be compliant, but I just need the right mask.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: need help finding right mask
Hi monikah123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not sure if there is another mask that is similar to the Mirage Liberty, but there are a lot of masks out there to try. I wish you much luck in finding one that works well for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Amara View and unless you are very sensitive, I would guess that you have it too tight. The only thing touching your face should be the edge of the silicon seal and it should not be crushed by the hard plastic frame. I set mine is it barely stays on when sitting up and leaks until I lay down.

I tried the Sim Plus when I first started and had trouble with pressure on the bridge of my nose.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2016, 12:07 AM)PoolQ Wrote: I use the Amara View and unless you are very sensitive, I would guess that you have it too tight. The only thing touching your face should be the edge of the silicon seal and it should not be crushed by the hard plastic frame. I set mine is it barely stays on when sitting up and leaks until I lay down.

I tried the Sim Plus when I first started and had trouble with pressure on the bridge of my nose.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried making it looser, but then it leaks. I wash my masks every day with a bit of dish soap as I was told the oils on your skin can make it leak.

How do you make your mask not leak then? I sleep mostly on my back, but do like to lie on my side too. When I lie down, I start with the mask loose, then tighten individual straps as needed to stop the leaks.

I'm starting with a pressure of 6.0. Would starting with a higher pressure help?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just feel like nobody in town here cares. My life is hell right now. I can't work. I can't do all those things other people do. I'm not living. I'm barely surviving. My sleep is all over the place. I'm starting to dread doing to bed because it just means lying there trying different masks that don't work. I had nap today without the mask and I woke up with a headache. I've had sleep problems my whole life. This is just the the crowning glory. Some days I think why keep going. There's no end to the exhaustion. No matter how hard I try I don't get better. And worst all, everybody around me sleeps fine. They don't care.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the ResMed P10 Nasal Pillow mask. It's the most minimalistic mask out there.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2016, 08:54 PM)monikah123 Wrote: I just feel like nobody in town here cares. My life is hell right now. I can't work. I can't do all those things other people do. I'm not living. I'm barely surviving. My sleep is all over the place. I'm starting to dread doing to bed because it just means lying there trying different masks that don't work. I had nap today without the mask and I woke up with a headache. I've had sleep problems my whole life. This is just the the crowning glory. Some days I think why keep going. There's no end to the exhaustion. No matter how hard I try I don't get better. And worst all, everybody around me sleeps fine. They don't care.

If you need something to help you relax so you can drop off to sleep, ask your doctor if you could take Melatonin? I take Melatonin each night and it helps me to relax and stop thinking of the days events.

Don't give up, you will find the solution for your sleep problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried the same masks that you did, and was having the same problems. I found that the Airfit F-10 worked the best for me, with the least amount of pressure on my cheekbones. It is a full face mask, but doesn't have that bar thingy on the top.
If you have a chance to try it, I recommend it, you never know. All of our faces are different shapes, so what's best for me may not be best for you.
[Image: tz8toniko.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't feel bad, you can find the mask that works for you. Your DME might not always handle it though.
I had to try ten different ones and most of them I had to pay for out of pocket.
I finally found a couple that work and it was worth it.

Good luck with your quest!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2016, 10:45 PM)toniko Wrote: I've tried the same masks that you did, and was having the same problems. I found that the Airfit F-10 worked the best for me, with the least amount of pressure on my cheekbones. It is a full face mask, but .

Thank you very much for the suggestion. It helps knowing someone else has this issue. I have an appointment Friday and will ask about that mask. I also got my prescription back today so I can order online if they don't have one.
(04-26-2016, 03:49 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Don't feel bad, you can find the mask that works for you. Your DME might not always handle it though.
I had to try ten different ones and most of them I had to pay for out of pocket.
I finally found a couple that work and it was worth it.

Good luck with your quest!

Thank you. I may have to do that and am willing to spend the money. Anything that makes me employable will be worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 207 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  If you're finding your CPAP uncomfortable ... Dr.Bob 4 582 11-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 642 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  [Pressure] Need help finding the right pressure. kidchameleon 57 4,911 07-28-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: kidchameleon
  Help finding my Bipap machine taken by mistake on airline orthoal 6 600 06-16-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: orthoal
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,485 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Struggling finding the right settings for flow limitations snakewrestler 20 1,930 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Last Post: snakewrestler

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.